Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Linux uTorrent similar App
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi I'm setting up my first HTPC and I was thinking going Linux for it.

Problem is I'm slightly lost in the sea of torrent clients for Linux so far and after alot of reading I haven't found one that has functionality similar to the way that uTorrent handels RSS downloads.

In short I need:

1. RSS auto downloads.
2. RSS Downloads to a folder specified for each series eg.
/Series/Name1/
/Series/Name2/
Where a new episode of Name1 would download directly to the proper folder so that continued seeding is possible. Same for Name2 ofc.
3. As mentioned above, continued seeding after the show is in its proper location.

The methods I've seen so far seem to focus on downloading the torrent to a folder x then copying the files to the y location while keeping the x location copy for seeding. I don't see this as a viable option since each episode would take 2x the space.

I'd really appriciate if someone with more experience with the linux clients could give me some insight here.
rtorrent + some surrounding utils
Deity Wrote:Hi I'm setting up my first HTPC and I was thinking going Linux for it.

Problem is I'm slightly lost in the sea of torrent clients for Linux so far and after alot of reading I haven't found one that has functionality similar to the way that uTorrent handels RSS downloads.

In short I need:

1. RSS auto downloads.
2. RSS Downloads to a folder specified for each series eg.
/Series/Name1/
/Series/Name2/
Where a new episode of Name1 would download directly to the proper folder so that continued seeding is possible. Same for Name2 ofc.
3. As mentioned above, continued seeding after the show is in its proper location.

The methods I've seen so far seem to focus on downloading the torrent to a folder x then copying the files to the y location while keeping the x location copy for seeding. I don't see this as a viable option since each episode would take 2x the space.

I'd really appriciate if someone with more experience with the linux clients could give me some insight here.

You can always run uTorrent in Linux with Wine.
iirc utorrent has just released a linux build not that long ago
deluge ftw
Thanks for the suggestions, As far as I can see.

- uTorrent for Linux doesn't support RSS yet.

- Deluge Seems to put all RSS torrent downloads in one "inbox folder" I need it to put it in the end destinations at once.

- rtorrent sollutions seem to be about creating a watch folder where torrent files would be put then rtorrent downloads them automaticly.. wouldn't this result in that all files go to eg. "/blah/Downloads" as well?

- uTorrent in wine, yes this is an option, but since I'm running xmbcfreak that'd mean i'd have to install a windowmanager and stuff, I'd like to run xbmc as the wm to save memory on my zotac

Still looking for a way to set this up properly.
rtorrent can sort based on the watch folder.... Save your TV torrents in a "TV watch" folder and rtorrent can move them to a TV folder when it's completed. Save movie torrents in a "Movie watch" folder and they can go to a different folder... rtorrent is highly configurable.

Instructions
I use rtorrent as well. While it is a bit "harder" to configure, it's extremely powerful. I then added the rutorrent web frontend and use the transdroid android app to control it remotely. It needs no "GUI" and runs great on my Atom 330 based console only ubuntu server.
Yeah so I've found a sollution that seems to work with rutorrent and rtorrent where rutorrent can handle the RSS. it does need to be open to run the scripts though now i just have to figure out how to load a web browser behind xbmc on boot =)

Thanks for the tips
Deity Wrote:Yeah so I've found a sollution that seems to work with rutorrent and rtorrent where rutorrent can handle the RSS. it does need to be open to run the scripts though now i just have to figure out how to load a web browser behind xbmc on boot =)

rutorrent does not need to be open to run the scripts. Adding a line to your rtorrent.rc will start all rutorrent functions on every boot without you needing to load rutorrent in a browser. See here:

http://code.google.com/p/rutorrent/wiki/...h_rtorrent

Otherwise the great rutorrent RSS feature would be useless!!

More info found in the rutorrent forums
http://forums.rutorrent.org/

Enjoy,
The Capt.
I noticed this, which is great, atm I only have one problem.

I installed the plugin _getdir to be able to browse locations to download torrents. But it only shows /tmp as a path.. I'm trying to figure out how to change this, settings say that it only shows dirs that rtorrent can write to and that php can show. I'm guessing somehow php can't show the other folders... but i have no idea where to change this.