Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: TVersity Streaming Over the Internet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've looked at a bunch of different ways to stream my media from my PC to XBMC over the internet (so I can watch it on-the-go, or so my neighbors can watch it from their XBMC box), but I'm having a bit of trouble getting it set up.

I can access TVersity from inside my network as a UPnP device in XBMC, no problem.

I can access the TVersity web interface from over the internet, no problem.

But if I try to manually input my TVersity ip/port into XBMC as a UPnP or HTTP source, it doesn't work. I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be doing here. UPnP is a routable protocol, so don't I just need to enter the right IP address? Any ideas?
I currently use a similar setup. I use Twonky instead of TVersity but that should not make a difference.

At present I am trying to work out a way of getting this done on the original xbox, which I will explain after I tell you my normal setup.

NORMAL SETUP FOR INTERNET STREAMING
I have a server running Win7 (Ubuntu and OSX will work as well) with Twonky acting as my UPNP server. I have Hamachi isntalled and acting as a VPN on both server and client.

This is a very simple setup with no need for portforwards or anything like that. Just install hamachi, create network in hamachi, join hamachi network on client and server. When you open up UPNP in XBMC it will show your server at home. Thats it your done.

Now you need to be able to install hamachi or setup a VPN on the client device for this to work. That means that the original Xbox is not able to use this setup. I started doing some tests.

First UPNP and SMB are not something that you want to open a port on your router to, its a pretty big security concern. I decided to go with XBMSP as there is no write functionality to it that I am aware of.

I have a DDNS setup within my router to allow easy access to dynamic IP address for my server. I have port 1400 forwarded to my server in my router.
Thats really all that supposed to be needed accessing a XBMSP server over the internet.

I have an Apple Tv with with Ubuntu and XBMC Dharma B2 isntalled on it. On this machine I can go to Video, add location, XBMSP and put in my DDNS address (blablabla.homeip.net) port 1400 and it resolved the DDNS and connects with NO issues.

I have an original Xbox running XBMC v30672 if I do the same thing as the apple tv it FAILS to resolve the DDNS address. If I put in the actual external IP address it access the server as expected. So it seems that the XBOX version either has a bug or is not able to resolve DDNS addresses. This is a problem because the majority of ISPs in the US use dynamic IPs and not static, thus the need for a DDNS address.

If I make any progress I will let you know.
ritalin Wrote:I currently use a similar setup. I use Twonky instead of TVersity but that should not make a difference.

At present I am trying to work out a way of getting this done on the original xbox, which I will explain after I tell you my normal setup.

NORMAL SETUP FOR INTERNET STREAMING
I have a server running Win7 (Ubuntu and OSX will work as well) with Twonky acting as my UPNP server. I have Hamachi isntalled and acting as a VPN on both server and client.

This is a very simple setup with no need for portforwards or anything like that. Just install hamachi, create network in hamachi, join hamachi network on client and server. When you open up UPNP in XBMC it will show your server at home. Thats it your done.

Now you need to be able to install hamachi or setup a VPN on the client device for this to work. That means that the original Xbox is not able to use this setup. I started doing some tests.

First UPNP and SMB are not something that you want to open a port on your router to, its a pretty big security concern. I decided to go with XBMSP as there is no write functionality to it that I am aware of.

I have a DDNS setup within my router to allow easy access to dynamic IP address for my server. I have port 1400 forwarded to my server in my router.
Thats really all that supposed to be needed accessing a XBMSP server over the internet.

I have an Apple Tv with with Ubuntu and XBMC Dharma B2 isntalled on it. On this machine I can go to Video, add location, XBMSP and put in my DDNS address (blablabla.homeip.net) port 1400 and it resolved the DDNS and connects with NO issues.

I have an original Xbox running XBMC v30672 if I do the same thing as the apple tv it FAILS to resolve the DDNS address. If I put in the actual external IP address it access the server as expected. So it seems that the XBOX version either has a bug or is not able to resolve DDNS addresses. This is a problem because the majority of ISPs in the US use dynamic IPs and not static, thus the need for a DDNS address.

If I make any progress I will let you know.

I thought about using a VPN, but am trying to stay away from that at this point, especially because I'd like to do as little work as possible on the receiving end. I don't want my friends, for example, to have to work a VPN to connect to me.

Secondly, I tried XBMSP, and didn't get much working--though I could probably try again--the problem is, I need the transcoding abilities of TVersity, which I don't think I would have with XBMSP. I don't think my internet's fast enough to stream 1080p video over the internet, which is mostly what I have.

So that said, I really am just looking for a way to make the set-up I described work. I know it has to work; it's not that complicated. So if anyone else can see what I'm doing wrong...it'd be much appreciated. Thanks!
Gyroscope352 Wrote:I thought about using a VPN, but am trying to stay away from that at this point, especially because I'd like to do as little work as possible on the receiving end. I don't want my friends, for example, to have to work a VPN to connect to me.

Secondly, I tried XBMSP, and didn't get much working--though I could probably try again--the problem is, I need the transcoding abilities of TVersity, which I don't think I would have with XBMSP. I don't think my internet's fast enough to stream 1080p video over the internet, which is mostly what I have.

So that said, I really am just looking for a way to make the set-up I described work. I know it has to work; it's not that complicated. So if anyone else can see what I'm doing wrong...it'd be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hamachi is a ZERO configure VPN client.

Do you have a windows box on both sides? If so you can manage the whole thing from their website. You create a network on the website interface, then create a new user, hamachi will then ask if you want to install it locally or on a remote machine. Install yours locally first. Then go back and create another new user, this time choose remote machine. It will create a download link that you can email or text to your friends. When they install it on their end they are automatically added to your account. Go back to the website and find their user in the list, choose edit and then put a check in the box of what network you want them in, ie the same network your server is in.

Thats IT... I have been running this setup for well over a year and since Hamachi runs as a service its only downtime has been for server restarts and the like. Since Hamachi 2.0 it has become a VERY stable VPN. The best part is that the client side does not EVER need to do anything short of maybe a restart to keep it running. I have this running at my parents and grandparents houses, thats how easy it is.

Hamchi.cc go check it out, it will work for you.
ritalin Wrote:Hamachi is a ZERO configure VPN client.

Do you have a windows box on both sides? If so you can manage the whole thing from their website. You create a network on the website interface, then create a new user, hamachi will then ask if you want to install it locally or on a remote machine. Install yours locally first. Then go back and create another new user, this time choose remote machine. It will create a download link that you can email or text to your friends. When they install it on their end they are automatically added to your account. Go back to the website and find their user in the list, choose edit and then put a check in the box of what network you want them in, ie the same network your server is in.

Thats IT... I have been running this setup for well over a year and since Hamachi runs as a service its only downtime has been for server restarts and the like. Since Hamachi 2.0 it has become a VERY stable VPN. The best part is that the client side does not EVER need to do anything short of maybe a restart to keep it running. I have this running at my parents and grandparents houses, thats how easy it is.

Hamchi.cc go check it out, it will work for you.

Hmm, maybe I misjudged this method then. I'll test it out. Of course, of anyone has any ideas on the old setup, I'd love to hear those too. But this is good; I'll take a look.
Is this still the best way to stream long distance over the internet? Or is there another more optimal way?

My goal is to stream from my WIN 7 workstation to my APPLE TV 2, about 100 miles away.

The simple things like having a wide bandwidth on both ends (2 or 4 megs up), having all my files converted to MP4 (aka M4V), and installing XBMC are all set.

Now just need to get them talking to each other with a stream. So Hamchi.cc will allow me to create my own VPN between these two points, and connect my remote XBMC as a client? that would be cool.