Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New Mac Mini or Stick with Old Mini + CrystalHD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So my old school (Dual core mac mini) + Crystal HD seems to be in need of some repairs. However I'm debating if i should just spring and buy the new mac mini. My question is, with the new Mac mini, does XBMC (and i suppose other children of XBMC like plex, boxee etc) support hardware decoding and as such I'll have an overall better experience than with the old Mac Mini?

What do you guys think? If there enough of a performance improvement in the new to justify buying it? or just stick with the old?

(for the record, the old mac mini 95% of the time worked perfeclty, but you know its always about that extra 5%)
jag0 Wrote:So my old school (Dual core mac mini) + Crystal HD seems to be in need of some repairs. However I'm debating if i should just spring and buy the new mac mini. My question is, with the new Mac mini, does XBMC (and i suppose other children of XBMC like plex, boxee etc) support hardware decoding and as such I'll have an overall better experience than with the old Mac Mini?

What do you guys think? If there enough of a performance improvement in the new to justify buying it? or just stick with the old?

(for the record, the old mac mini 95% of the time worked perfeclty, but you know its always about that extra 5%)

New MacMini only has hardware decoding for h264. CrystalHD can do h264, mpeg2 and vc1. Plex and Boxee don't have support for CrystalHD and Plex devs give silly excuses about not adding it. On the other hand, the New MacMini is more powerful than the old and you can always boot linux and get full hardware decode using VDPAU.
... is it also possible to use the crystall hd card in a new mini 2010?

Chris
ix400 Wrote:... is it also possible to use the crystall hd card in a new mini 2010?

Chris

No
settled....sticking with my old mac mini + Crystal HD Smile
davilla Wrote:On the other hand, the New MacMini is more powerful than the old and you can always boot linux and get full hardware decode using VDPAU.

I love Macs, but this is a waste of money, since you can buy Asrock330 for a third of a sum.
pecinko Wrote:I love Macs, but this is a waste of money, since you can buy Asrock330 for a third of a sum.

The Asrock330 does not near as nice and sexy as the new MacMini, plus it has a power brick, icky. And they seem to be out-of-stock as are most ION platforms. Plenty of ION2's around.
I've just setup my new 2010 mac mini with xbmc and file sharing. I have to say the video runs 100x smoother on the mini than it did on the Ubunutu ATV. Although it is quite a bit more expensive if you want something that is worth the money and effort of setting up a HTPC, then the mini is definitely the way to go. I love it!
jag0 Wrote:What do you guys think? If there enough of a performance improvement in the new to justify buying it? or just stick with the old?

I went from the 09 Mini to the mid 2010 one. Both are really nice, but the new one is fantastic. It's a bit of a luxury since the 09 Mini pretty well did everything. The new one (especially the server) is a fantastic system.

philip
pecinko Wrote:I love Macs, but this is a waste of money, since you can buy Asrock330 for a third of a sum.

I looked at that system. It's more like 60% of a new Mini to set it up properly. Even at 1/3 the price I wouldn't buy it. But to each his own. The Mini, and new one especially, is a fantastic system. You are basically comparing a Lada with a Mercedes. Both get you from point A to point B, but which would you rather have?

philip
pmcd Wrote:I looked at that system. It's more like 60% of a new Mini to set it up properly.

Wink Look at a sentence I quoted. I was trying to say that if you're going to put Linux on it, you'll be loosing most of the advantages mini has.

Quote:Both get you from point A to point B, but which would you rather have?
Rolleyes New ATV?

Mac mini server=1150 € (no DVD drive !! +20 € remote)
Mac mini=790 € (+20 € for remote)
ASrock=280 € (+20 € for remote)
New ATV=120 € (no XBMC)
Smile
pecinko Wrote:Wink Look at a sentence I quoted. I was trying to say that if you're going to put Linux on it, you'll be loosing most of the advantages mini has.

Rolleyes New ATV?

Mac mini server=1150 € (no DVD drive !! +20 € remote)
Mac mini=790 € (+20 € for remote)
ASrock=280 € (+20 € for remote)
New ATV=120 € (no XBMC)
Smile

Well my Mini server doesn't need a DVD. It can use networked one's, etc...

I think there is a problem with comparing prices all over the world. The currencies don't quite translate right. The ASrock for example costs about 60% of the mini price. An item which costs 100 euros will often cost $100 over here. On the other handle some don't, like the XTreamer media player.

It's too bad you happen to get good pricing for the ASrock. It really isn't bad but ...

I have a new ATV. It's great. Of course it's a different animal then the original ATV. The big appeal for me was AirPlay and the interaction with the various iDevices.

I agree with you regarding Linux on a Mini. It is the last thing I'd do personally, but if you like Linux then I guess it would make a neat Linux system.

Anyway, I am losing track of the original issue. You basically have to figure out what you need ( for example I couldn't care less about HD Audio or 1080p), how much you can afford and work from there.

philip
so am in the same boat as you, i was thinking about buying the new mini looks nice as hell !!
it works well too! install bootcamp, hookup a bluray drive and you can watch bluray movies too
well it appears the old Mac mini can't be repaired. So, i figure might as well try and get a and old core solo mac mini and transfer the Cpu, Ram and crystalHD over to the 'new' used mac mini.
Pages: 1 2