Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Frame drops when using DTS in mkv files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm using the 10.00-beta2 on a 330HT running on windows 7 (but the problem also exists on live version). Audio is passing through to my Onkyo receiver. DXVA2 is enabled and everything runs very smooth but..

Many of my mkv files have both AC3 and DTS audio. When using the AC3 track everything is smooth, but when using the DTS track I am experiencing frame drops.

I have been playing with every option such as sync display to video etc. but nothing seems to fix it. When I disable vsync no drops occur but I get tearing, so not an option really but maybe woth saying.

When I look at the log, at the times of the frame drops it says: Decode - avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet

Hope someone knows how to solve this problem.
This has nothing to do with XBMC, but about a year ago, ffdshow had similar problems, Video+AC3(passthru) would play back perfectly smooth, Video+DTS(passthru) would play jerky. Turned out to be a problem with the jitter correction algorithm. The code was updated by the dev's and fixed the issue 100%.

Might be that there's a similar problem crept into XBMC, not sure...

Cheers
The REAL Joe
Thanks for your reply.

Do you by any chance know how I can fix it or work around it? I googled my ass off last weeks and it's really driving me crazy. Nothing seems to work.
I uploaded a sample of a scene with a lot of frame drops when DTS is enabled. I hope someone can reproduce my problem or maybe confirm its a bad file or something like that.

SAMPLE (rapidshare)

Thanks in advance!
Your sample works great here, with Win7, dxva and passthrough. I don't have an Ion though, hopefully more Ion owners will chime in.
The sample has two audio streams, by default the ac3 stream is selected, use the dts stream and you'll get a lot of discontinuity errors, which will cause video jerks and might cause framedrops.
bobo1on1 Wrote:The sample has two audio streams, by default the ac3 stream is selected, use the dts stream and you'll get a lot of discontinuity errors, which will cause video jerks and might cause framedrops.

Thanks for taking time to test!
Do you know if that's something I can solve or is it just a bad video file? I so desperately want to solve this. Or at least want to know if I use badly muxed files.
Oops Blush
A few drops/speedups after switching to the DTS track and some of those in the log
Code:
CDVDPlayer::CheckContinuity - wrapback of stream:1, prev:33178000.000000, curr:33162000.000000, diff:-16000.000000

and an obvious a/v desync.
Hi there,

I am experiencing the exact same problem with my XBMC Live ION setup, DTS streams cause stutter / jitter where AC3 plays smooth.

Also tried several sync settings, nothing seems to help.
I think that it's probably in the files we are using. It always happens in files that are remuxed by some guys who add a Dutch subtitle track and an AC3 audio track to their mkv releases. When I use the regular 'scene' release of a movie with only DTS and no subs (or just English), the problem does not exist, I can play the file using the DTS track with no frame drops (only few at the start but that's normal).

Mheuvink, I'm just guessing you're also dutch (if not nevermind). Are you also using the remuxed files with added Dutch subs and AC3 audio track?
I also have 330HT on Win7 and I also experience this with beta3, but not only in mvk files.
Hello Kassemans,

Yes i am also dutch, it must have got to do with what you said about remuxing the mkv files. I'll try and get a DTS mkv without the subs, see how that plays.
Now when Dharma is here... Has this bug been forgotten?
No, we did not forget about it, it's just very hard to fix.
Ok, according to trac 11.0 should be released in 2 month. Is that correct, or should it be 6 month and nobody haven't changed it yet?
Pages: 1 2