Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC N00b - Can I do this (link inside) with XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

Saw this thread at AVS Forums about using FFDShow, AVISynth and a bit more pieces of software to get a CPU-only solution to upscaling 480p DVD rips to 1080p. Is there any way to get XBMC to do this using its internal FFDShow?

Thanks!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1172653
Nobody? Can someone at least point me in a relevant direction so I can do some searching of my own with regards to modifying XBMC's own internal FFDShow? I have done some searching but haven't come up with much (mostly in the user manual).

Thanks!
DSPlayer-still in beta (alpha even?) but does what you want.
XBMC has internal ffmpeg, not internal ffdshow.
That being said, XBMC has a lanczos scaler.
bobo1on1 Wrote:XBMC has internal ffmpeg, not internal ffdshow.

Right! Thank you, I did have them confused.

bobo1on1 Wrote:That being said, XBMC has a lanczos scaler.

Care to elaborate...?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanczos_resampling

Turn it on in the video settings dialog during playback, or set it to auto to use it for SD only.
You need to choose "Set as default for all movies" after that if you want the setting to stick.
You're talking about the "Video Post-Processing" in the Video Playback menu in Settings, right? Because I don't see an option for that if I select the Video Options during playback. (Using Dharma Beta 2 with Aeon MQ2.)

Yeah, already had that enabled for SD content only, and I did see a difference when I did. Cool, thanks.
No I'm not, I'm talking about the lanczos scaler.
hit 'm' during playback. *IN THE FULLSCREEN VIDEO WINDOW*
OK, I see - this was under the "scaling" menu in video options during playback. Got it now. (I was looking for "Lanczos". =)) I understand "Auto" will only enable it for SD content - but using which method?

And what does the Video Post-Processing in the Video Playback (under Settings from main menu, not from playback) enable then? Something different? Or does it just define usage for whichever scaling method you enable?

What is generally regarded as giving out the best PQ for upscaling SD content?

Thanks for the help!
auto = lancos3 optimized for sd, bilinear for hd. upscaling and post processing are two different beasts. post processing is additional filters that corrects encoding artifacts such as blocks and ringing at the expense of slight blurring. really only needed for bad material.