Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Developers Needed for Huge Project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Please use our contact email for this kind of thing.

Also, you're much better off pushing the "resulting code will be contributed upstream" angle rather than the "developer will be paid and asked to sign a confidentiality agreement" one.

TheUni
Do you mean to hit the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page and send a message to the administrator? is that what you want me to do?

Why would that angle be better to push?
maybe because they are handling the project no?
See http://xbmc.org/about/contact/ for contact details.
The last time I was recruited this way I actually flew to the meeting to sign the contract. I read it thoroughly only to discover that the company was asking me to sign a contract that would force me to violate the GPL. They didn't want their code (that they hired me to write) released to their competitors. I told them that it wasn't legal. They showed me in the contract where it says that it would remain their property. I don't think they got it. The first question I would ask is whether they understand the licensing implications of a XBMC fork.
This is exactly why I prefer to have a dialog with companies before they seek help from our devs/users. Most don't understand the implications of the GPL.

teaguecl: If this was for XBMC work, please pm me some contact info so that I may speak with that company.

TheUni
Maybe the topicstarter will do the same things as Boxee did: Boxee proved forking XBMC does not necessarily means breaking the GPL v2, paid or not.

@teaguecl: If you deliver the code to your originator it´s their problem to provide it upstream. So for paid assignments with ful rights for the originator, you don´t have to worry about the license.

Since XBMC Foundation is a foundation with no named members (maybe it is Boxee who could actually be a competitor), I think it´s not a bad choice to use the forum.

Can you provide some job details? What are you planning to code? A skin or maybe a new videoplayer?
They could write a custom XBMC solution for a client of theirs.
Robotica Wrote:@teaguecl: If you deliver the code to your originator it´s their problem to provide it upstream. So for paid assignments with ful rights for the originator, you don´t have to worry about the license.

I don't think XBMC license requires that they have to contact XBMC about their changes but when they do distrube their products, they have to include source code changes to XBMC in it.
Robotica Wrote:@teaguecl: If you deliver the code to your originator it´s their problem to provide it upstream. So for paid assignments with ful rights for the originator, you don´t have to worry about the license.

CrashX Wrote:I don't think XBMC license requires that they have to contact XBMC about their changes but when they do distrube their products, they have to include source code changes to XBMC in it.

I never said that. I said that an agreement between 2 parties has nothing to do with licensing. So the dubious company should worry and not the hired dev.
CrashX Wrote:I don't think XBMC license requires that they have to contact XBMC about their changes but when they do distrube their products, they have to include source code changes to XBMC in it.

They have to make the sourcecode available on request as far as I know, they don't have to distribute the code with the binaries.
two key paragraphs from the GPL
Quote:... Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it....

and

Quote:b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

Which pretty much means that it's going to end up back in XBMC anyways so it may as well be provided.
bobo1on1 Wrote:They have to make the sourcecode available on request as far as I know, they don't have to distribute the code with the binaries.

They do, skype IIRC failed on this and got problems in court if I'm not mistaken.
Like I said, it is not clear if the topicstarter will break the GPL so this is non-discussion. He might plan to do the same trick Boxee did.

The issue is that the topicstarter prefers using the forum above a contact email to the site admin. In my opinion this is a smart move since there is no public info. on the members of the XBMC Foundation. They might as well be Boxee inc.

But on topic: If you would like ppl to reply I think it´s smart to draw a picture of the kind of work you like to see done.
Pages: 1 2