Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Back, and Clear Buttons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Is there any way to change the Back and Clear buttons?

I have found a number of screens require the "clear" button to be pressed rather than the "back" button.

Sometimes the clear button drops you all the way out to the menu, same with the back button.

Thanks, M
You don't say what remote you're using, what version of XBMC or what operating system, all of which makes it a bit hard to help.

On Windows, MCE remotes generally send a Backspace keypress when you press the Back button and an Escape keypress when you press the Clear button. In XBMC you normally need Escape to close dialog boxes, though it's not always obvious what constitutes a dialog box. Can you give a specific example of when the keystrokes don't work in the way you'd like them to?

JR
If bae0 is talking about a MCE remote on Windows, also read this http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10290

EDIT: Which he probably means considering his other threads talking about windows and beta2.
+1

i have got a hp mce remote and clear (which sends an "esc") is on my remote at the bottom left.
on daily use i need it often to close the add-on changelogs or the lyrics plugin and some other. would be nice if i can close it with the back button too.
it's even more user-"girl"friendly ;-)
jhsrennie: Is there a way to know if the remote sends keypresses or not?

Also, these dialogs you talk about in the ticket, there are many dialogs that cant be closed with Back button, even if there's no text input. An example is the skin selection dialog and I have a thought that it could be that they are new and therefor has been forgotten to add this feature to them?
StarChild Wrote:jhsrennie: Is there a way to know if the remote sends keypresses or not?

Have you done anything to configure the remote, and of so what? The Asrock remote is an MS compatible, and will on Windows it will only partially work with XBMC (not all buttons will work).

If you grab plugin.script.mceremote-0.9.0.zip from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ and unzip it (there's no need to install the addon) then in the plugin.script.mceremote\resources\data folder there is an app called ShowKey. Run this then try pressing buttons on the remote and the app will report what if any keypresses are being sent.

JR
marv_el Wrote:+1

i have got a hp mce remote and clear (which sends an "esc") is on my remote at the bottom left.
on daily use i need it often to close the add-on changelogs or the lyrics plugin and some other. would be nice if i can close it with the back button too.
it's even more user-"girl"friendly ;-)

I try to make sure one of the direction buttons closes these type of dialogs on Alaska Revisited, so if you're using it then hit a direction button.
Ok, just tested plugin.script.mceremote\resources\data\ShowKey.exe and my remote Back button sends 166 (0xA6) - VK_BROWSER_BACK. Is there any need of a complete list of all buttons?
See my comments on the ticket. You can use my addon to reconfigure your remote to send the MCE keyboard shortcuts, or indeed if you have v0.9.1 of the addon you could choose to reconfigure just the Back button.

JR
"
Windows Specific:
* Added support for most MCE (Microsoft Windows Media Center) compatible remotes out-of-the-box
"
Source: http://trac.xbmc.org/milestone/10.0

Yeah right, hahaha Smile Like 5 buttons working Smile
Yeah, addon seems to be the most easy way so far. I was just hoping that MCE remote in Windows would get the same great support as it is in Linux (More buttons works in Linux). I have long hoped for a MCE remote support that works out of the box on Windows, as that is the most common remote.
Sadly there is no standard API for remotes on Windows. In Linux the standard is LIRC, so XBMC/Linux doesn't specifically support the MS remote, it supports any remote that works through LIRC. That's why it's worth the developers time to build in LIRC support.

By contrast there is little appetite to build in specific support for the Microsoft remote in the Windows version because all you would have achieved is to make the MS remote and the few compatibles work. You say the MS remote is the most common remote, but sadly that is far from the truth. Do a quick search for "mce remote" on eBay to see just how many different types of remote there are out there. In fact, due to considerable blood and sweat on the developers' part, most of the remotes out there will mostly work.

That said, I still recommend the MS remote, and I use it myself, because it's the best built and courtesy of a few registry mods done by my addon, it works the best.

JR
Ok, so your saying that not all MCE remotes works the same way? How has Windows media center solved this?

EDIT: This addon, will it be an official addon someday?

Also, I don't think I quite get it why the Back button works in some places but not in others.

EDIT2: I thought that there where only two types of MCE remotes out there, one before Vista and one after Vista, regardless the brand? hmm.. so every brand has it's own way to represent a button, or how does it work?
See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi..._with_XBMC

The addon will be official as soon as I can arrange for it to be added to the repository.

JR
Sweet, I can see MCERemote 1.0 is official addon now.
Pages: 1 2