Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] No Host name using XBMCLive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just reinstalled XBMCLive and have tried 'putty' ing into my system as I did before, but it's now throwing errors out about the hostname being (none) anytime I try to do anything.

In this case, I'm trying to chmod the executable for Couch Potato.

This is what I get when connecting to xbmclive:22 through putty.

Quote:login as: xbmc
xbmc@xbmclive's password:
Linux (none) 2.6.32-25-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 17 20:26:08 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS

Welcome to Ubuntu!
* Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/
Last login: Tue Oct 12 16:48:20 2010 from 192.168.0.11
xbmc@(none):~$ sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
sudo: unable to resolve host (none)
[sudo] password for xbmc:

I have looked in the hosts file and I have -
Quote:127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 XBMCLive.dummy.net XBMCLive

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
Linux compared to Windows is so different and when your a "Windows Baby" it is hard to start to get grips with it. But I'm determined to get there with a little help! Smile
backup the file and replace everything with:
Code:
XBMCLive
This is my /etc/hostname:

Quote:127.0.0.1 localhost XBMCLive
127.0.1.1 XBMCLive

and this is my /etc/hosts:

Quote:127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 XBMCLive.gateway.2wire.net XBMCLive

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

I am receiving the same error:

Quote:sudo: unable to resolve host (none)
Hi Dejavu,

Are you using XBMCFreak? I tried this out last night and got the exact same error you're getting, haven't had time to try and figure it out yet but I've never had it happen with a normal XBMCLive install.
does it ask for an hostname at the installation process? (when you installed the livecd)

to be able to change your hostname you need root privileges but for sudo/root you will need to be able to resolve your hostname. as you are getting "sudo: unable to resolve host (none)" i would say you are pretty much stuck Undecided
Mnementh Wrote:Hi Dejavu,

Are you using XBMCFreak? I tried this out last night and got the exact same error you're getting, haven't had time to try and figure it out yet but I've never had it happen with a normal XBMCLive install.

Yes i am using XBMCFreak...

Celox Wrote:does it ask for an hostname at the installation process? (when you installed the livecd)

to be able to change your hostname you need root privileges but for sudo/root you will need to be able to resolve your hostname. as you are getting "sudo: unable to resolve host (none)" i would say you are pretty much stuck Undecided

The hostname is correct in the hostfile... sudo seems to be working