Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AAC Sound Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have some FLV files that have the audio in AAC format (Stereo)

With Camelot these played fine

But with Dharma Beta 2 (Live CD, Acer R3610), on the exact same hardware, my TV says the audio format is unsupported. There are no errors in xbmc.log

My first thought was that the problem was with the player in Dharma so I installed mplayer as an external player and the same problems occurred, so I assume it's something else

Further investigation suggested Lucid won't have the AAC codec and files installed so I've tried various installations to get AAC and even recompiled ffmpeg etc with AAC support, changed settings in xbmc etc, but can't seem to get anywhere

At the end of the day I can live without the files as the move to Dharma is perfect in every other way that I won't be going back to my camelot install

But was wondering if anyone else had come across this problem and managed to resolve it please?

Many thanks
Tony
if you tv says the audio format is unsupported you're probably trying to pass it through to the tv.
Using the Beta 2 i also cant get aac audio to work.

But instead of my TV telling me its not supported xbmc just crashes.

Is there anything else to get "native" xbmc aac decoding?
spiff Wrote:if you tv says the audio format is unsupported you're probably trying to pass it through to the tv.

The only place in the UI that seems to mention pass thru is in the system audio settings and as far as I can tell the only way to disable that is to switch to Analog (instead of hdmi), but I get the same thing

Are there perhaps hidden settings in the xbmc xml files or in linux I should look at please?

Thanks
Tony
I had a similar type of problem. All 2.0 audio (mp3's, videos with 2.0 audio, etc.) played fine but AAc-encoded 5.1 sound did not work. It turned out to be a problem with my TV.

I ended up my hooking up Shuttle XS35GT a number of different ways to discover the problem.

Configuration A
- XS35GT with XBMC connected directly to Panasonic TC-P54G10 (stereo output) via HDMI

Configuration B
- XS35GT with XBMC connected directly to LG LCD TV (stereo output) via HDMI

Configuration C
- XS35GT with XBMC connected directly to TX-SR674 7.1 Receiver and TC-P54G10 using HDMI splitter

The only configuration that worked out of these was Configuration C.

With Config A, only the front left and front right channels worked with one AAC-encoded movie. Another movie just outputed static on those channels.

With Config B, both the movies worked in stereo only.

The funny thing is that when I connect my laptop, FiOS HDDVR, Ps3, Xbox 360, etc., the televisions are able to convert the 5.1 that they output to 2.0 and play through the speakers. It's only the Xs35GT's 5.1 HDMI output it has a problem with. My guess is that XBMC is doing something funny and the television doesn't know how to handle it properly.

The worst part was that I only tried connecting to different audio receivers after wasting a lot of time messing with my XBMC install/config/etc. when it was not the problem.

So I would try to hook your box up directly to a receiver or to anything else and see what happens. In my case, the only way to solve my problem is use the TC-P54G10 for display only and the TX-SR674 for sound. I split the HDMI signal out of the XBMC using a monoprice HDMI splitter (approx. $25).

Shuttle XS53GT with Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.00 beta2 T4
Thanks for the info

I'm only using 2.0 and really don't want to attach a receiver (I have the TV on the bedroom wall with all cables going thru the wall behind the tv to all the attached equipment in another room to keep everything tidy in the bedroom)

Am going to try a re-install from camelot live cd to get the sound working again and then just try installing dharma b2 over the top keeping the camelot linux distro intact. That way I should be able to be 100% sure whether it's linux or xbmc where my problem lies

Thanks
Tony
Have just installed the nightly Dharma Beta 3 on top of the Karmic/9.11 Live CD and AAC sound is back and working

Seems to be lucid related in some way

Just have to see now if running Beta 3 on Karmic presents any other problems
Googling around it seems the problem may relate to Lucid having a broken version of the xine lib with regards to aac, but i've no idea if xbmc player would use this

Anyone know please?

Thanks