Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Wrong Screen resolution when xbmc on before receiver :-(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello!

I have an Onkyo TX-SR308 and my Asrock Ion is connected via HDMI for picture and sound to the onkyo and that again to the tv.
It all works fine IF the Onkyo is on before XBMC runs.
If I just turn the Asrock Ion on (which autostarts XBMC) and only later the Onkyo and tv to its channel, then XBMC is shown in 1024*768. And even if I want to change this manually, I don't have all resolutions available. However if I just exit XBMC and start it again, it is displayed perfectly in 1838*1038 as set up before (this is my individual NVIDIA overscan resolution).

If I set the resolution in XBMC to 1900*1080 and calibrate the screen in there, in the scenario above the resolution also stays the same when the receiver is turned on afterwards, but then the calibration settings are lost and I have to recalibrate again.

So both resolutions cause problems, one changes the resolution to a default, the other looses the calibration settings of xbmc.

Does anyone have an idea what I could do so that I am not forced to turn on XBMC only after the Onkyo is on?
I got rid of my nvidia setup when connected to my Onkyo. I don't think it's the onkyo's fault because I've had boot up resolution problems when directly connected to a TV. I had the same issues as you. Sometimes it would boot up ok, other times, the resolution was off. I never did find a solution and opted to go to ATI. I'm guessing the HDMI info isn't always consistent between nvidia and output device. Sorry it's not much of an option with ION.

I do remember there is an nvidia service that runs to check for output changes. You might try disabling that to see if it helps. I don't think it did for me, but who knows.
Thanks for the answer. Thing is, if I get rid of the NVIDIA setup, then also in Windows itself is the screen much too large, and I also use the computer to surf the internet and so on. Or is there another alternative tool which can remove the overscan? Generally the NVIDIA setup worked pretty well, also together with XBMC directly connected to the TV, but with the Onkyo in between it causes those resolution problems :-(

UPDATE:
Found out that also my TV itself has a native resolution feature so that 1920:1080 fits perfectly. So I got rid of the NVIDIA tool as you said because it is not needed anymore. However the problems persists. If XBMC is started before the Onkyo is on, it switches to "PC Mode" in 1024*768 and the maximum resolution available is then 1600*1200. Exiting XBMC and restarting it brings it back to correct resolution.
What can I do?
Another option to look into is HDMI Detective by Gefen. I have it on my setup connected to a receiver. It works for me with my ATI setup. I never tried it with my Nvidia systems.
Nice thing, but before buying another piece of hardware for 150€ I'd rather connect the ION directly to TV again and only give the sound to the receiver.
But I can't believe that I am the only one with the problem and that everyone else either lives with it or buys such a thing.
It wasn't an easy decision for me too but after I made the leap to purchase the HDMI detective, all my headaches went away. I never (knock on wood) have had resolution or loss of video since installing the Gefen. No more searching forums, trying various OS's/drivers/settings. It may not work for you but it worked for me.
Another reason for me to drop Nvidia/ION was audio silent stream bug. Google it.
With my complicated HTPC setup (and a wife), it's been totally worth it. Even she can get the HTPC working without any intervention from me. Thank goodness for the Gefen and a Harmony remote!
I have the same problem, (using a Revo and a Sony amp) but since my htpc is running 24/7 it's not really a problem, I just close my TV and amp and when I put them back on, everything is fine.

I sometime reboot my HTPC remotely (ie when upgrading xbmc and I'm at work) and that's the only time I get this problem, since my amp is off and xbmc starts automatically upon restart. I configure 1 button on my remote to do Alt+F4 and 1 button to start xbmc
I have been having a similar problem, and it existed with 9.11 all the way through beta 3. i have a pioneer elite SC-35 connected to an epson 1080p projector. all are connected via HDMI and i am running windows 7 with a nvidia geforce 200 video card.
My XBMC box auto reboots every night at 3:00AM so when i power up my system later in the day, as the projector and reciever power up, it seems to shift to a low resolution (maybe 800x600 and then back up to 1080P)

when it does, the XBMC adjusts it's resolution down to the lower setting, but then does not resize it's way up. if i exit XBMC i can see that windows is set to 1080P as it should be, but XBMC never "caught up"

as far as i can tell, XBMC seems to sense the change to lower resolutions, but not to higher ones. it is sort of a pain in the ass, and i know that it is XBMC that is the problem, because my desktop is at the right resolution

for now, i have a button on my remote that will close and restart XBMC, but it is not the most friendly setup that way.

if anyone has a solution to this, i am all ears! hopefully we can figure out a fix...or maybe it is a bug?
The problem is solved with HDMI detective. I used to have it with ATI as well, it's not a Nvidia thing. It has to do with the EDID not being persistent.
pigeldi Wrote:Nice thing, but before buying another piece of hardware for 150€ I'd rather connect the ION directly to TV again and only give the sound to the receiver.
But I can't believe that I am the only one with the problem and that everyone else either lives with it or buys such a thing.

Hi mate... I had the same problem, almost same hardware. I went trow all the steeps on this link http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70068 that solved my problem. Give it a go =)
alex84 Wrote:Hi mate... I had the same problem, almost same hardware. I went trow all the steeps on this link http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70068 that solved my problem. Give it a go =)

isn't that linux only?
I wish there was a solution for windows like that....maybe it warrants a closer look
I have this problem too, my WA was to change guisestting.xml file to readonly - I don't know how to do it in windows
I'd just like to add my findings to this:

I had the same problem with overscan and would lose my calibration settings when the media player was on before the receiver. I got frustrated and ended up buying the hdmi detective a few days ago.

It opened up a whole new world of problems for me.

All of a sudden i was getting 3fps stuttery playback, then my ps3 wouldn't display a picture (something to do with the hdcp switch on the gefen). I sorted that, then i lost all audio.... from everything. No audio from the media player, ps3, nothing.
Long story short i think it fried my hdmi 1 tv input because even with the ps3 plugged straight into it bypassing the receiver all together, i get NO sound now. Plug it in hdmi 2? Sound straight away.
Put the Gefen Detective in the loop and no more sound from media player and 3fps on anything with dolby or multi channel audio. If i play tv show rips however, it plays fine.

In the end i stumbled across the "Just Scan" setting on my tv and it stopped me needing to do any calibration in xbmc, hence i don't loose any settings anymore.

Anyone wanna buy a Gefen HDMI Detective? Wink
I have a similar problem but my tv is older and only does 1080i, my Sony receiver defaults to 720p when the tv is off so this confuses my ion and I also have a USB monitor that is 1024x600. I end up with xbmc running onthe USB monitor at 720p so only part of the display is even shown. So everytime I go to watch xbmc in the livingroom I have to in order turn on the tv, then receiver, then boot the mediaplayer and everything is fine.
My prob is I want the mediaplayer on 24/7 as it runs my touchscreen monitor in the kitchen and utorrent.
I have same problem with my setup, Denon Reciver.
Pages: 1 2