Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Setting Up XBMC Live Partitions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got a Revo 3610, swapped out the hard drive with a 60GB SSD. I used ~40GB for Windows 7. I plan on streaming media from a NAS. I am now trying to figure out what to do with the remaining 21GB for XBMC Live.

When I click on the free space and tell it to "Automatically partition the free space" it assigns:

#5 logical 20GB ext4 /
#6 logical 921.2MB swap swap

Should I use it like this or partition is in some other way?
actionfreak Wrote:I just got a Revo 3610, swapped out the hard drive with a 60GB SSD. I used ~40GB for Windows 7. I plan on streaming media from a NAS. I am now trying to figure out what to do with the remaining 21GB for XBMC Live.

When I click on the free space and tell it to "Automatically partition the free space" it assigns:

#5 logical 20GB ext4 /
#6 logical 921.2MB swap swap

Should I use it like this or partition is in some other way?

You will need to select manuel partition choise in xbmc when you install and select the first remaning partition after win7. Then xbmc will say install on this partition and also make an swap partition etc... This is for dualboot ofc, thumb rule is win7 first, xbmc second, manuel partition, select the partition after win7 ex the 20gig remaning.

Hope this helps. Cheers
Thanks Alex. I did get Windows installed in the first partition. I have been messing around with allocating the remaining 21GB of space.

How many partitions should I create in the remaining space, what size for each, should they be primary or logical, what file system?
I gave my XBMC install 10 GB so there is room for growth. I setup my /home directory on a separate primary partition using the the remaining space (minus the 4 GB swap partition). Seems to be working well for me. As for the filesystem, I'd go ahead and use EXT4. If you want to share files from these partitions, just install samba service.
So how about this? Am I ever going to need that much space in /home?

10 GB partition for / ext4
2 GB partition for swap
9 GB partition for /home ext4