Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: how to recover from sudo rm -R /etc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is not necessarilly a XBMC issue.. I was trying to remove and reinstall my LIRC setup. I accidentally slipped and put a space between /etc/lirc and I deleted my /etc folder. Linux immediately saw that I was not in the sudoers file and I had no way to create files. I have no way to login now.

Before I go reinstalling XBMC-Live and MythTV, is there a quick way to undo the rm -R /etc command?
Hahaha...

Sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh but pretty classic Smile

And not sure you can recover short of booting into another instance of XBMCLive, then mount your RMed filesystem and then copy contents of /etc from the new XBMCLive. You will of course lose any custom changes that were done in /etc.
Yeah, there were too many custom changes and softwares installed. Unless I can somehow restore the filesystem /etc node, I think it's best to just reinstall everything from the ground up so that there are no missing files or references.
Also, you really should learn how to use the tab complete Smile Will help avoid such *stupidities*.
outleradam Wrote:This is not necessarilly a XBMC issue.. I was trying to remove and reinstall my LIRC setup. I accidentally slipped and put a space between /etc/lirc and I deleted my /etc folder. Linux immediately saw that I was not in the sudoers file and I had no way to create files. I have no way to login now.

Before I go reinstalling XBMC-Live and MythTV, is there a quick way to undo the rm -R /etc command?

start using rsnapshot for back ups Smile
tslayer Wrote:Also, you really should learn how to use the tab complete Smile Will help avoid such *stupidities*.

"tab complete" is a life saver for me makes things so much easier, and when searching for stuff too double tab FTW

-=Jason=-