Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HDMI sound not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I'm very new to XBMC (and Ubuntu for that matter), so my apologies for the possible stupid question...
I've installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my new HTPC. The machine is an Intel i3 (530) on a Gigabyte GA-H55M-2DH board.
I connected the HDMI output to my TV, but can't hear the audio. When using a Windows 7 laptop I can hear the audio fine. Any idea...?
Thanks,
Zohar.
What does aplay -l say?
Please forgive my ignorance as I'm new to this system as well but how does one display aplay -l? Is there a command prompt window?
douver Wrote:Please forgive my ignorance as I'm new to this system as well but how does one display aplay -l? Is there a command prompt window?
Yes, but it depends. if you tell us what type of XBMC it is - e.g. Live, XBMCbuntu, full install (i.e. full Ubuntu with Xwindows installed) - then it gets lot easier for us to tell you how to get a shell. Cheers!!
You can try with CTRL + ALT + F1 (or F2...) to switch between consoles.
Second option is to login from other computer using SSH (from Windows you can use PuTTY)
A family member had a very similar issue and we spent days trying to figure this out. In the end, it turned out to be a (known) incompatibility with his TV...I think it was a Panasonic of some description...and XBMC/HDMI. Huh

We simply couldn't resolve it and had to use the audio-out port with a cable to his TV's audio-in port. Yes, lame I know but the only way we could find to get around it. You don't have a Panasonic TV, do you? Sad