Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dependencies, dependencies and again dependencies...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello folks,
I have read all threads about issues related to dependencies and unfortunately I could not find a clear solution. While for some worked a certain procedure to reinstall XBMC, for others didn't.

After having a nice working Dharma xbmc with lucid I had some changes to samba, then removed all files related to samba and reinstalled it but XBMC did not worked anymore.

When I try to reinstall, I have:
Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  xbmc: Depends: xbmc-data (= 2:10.00~svn34731-lucid1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: xbmc-skin-confluence (= 2:10.00~svn34731-lucid1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
Then:
Code:
sudo apt-get purge xbmc
then
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
and removed the xbmc SVN PPA's
Then searched for "xbmc" and removed all files and folders related.
Rebuild your list index by:
sudo update-apt-xapian-index
reboot, added the SVN PPA, then when I try again to install XBMC I have the same error.

When I add the stable PPA I could successfully install the XBMC 9.11. I have removed it since I need to have Dharma and back to square one.

I have removed again the PPAs and everything I could find about XBMC then I have tried:
Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
then
sudo apt-get -f install
Then I tried through dpkg, downloaded all files from SVN PPA, then:
Code:
mkdir svn_r34731
- moved all downloaded fle to this folder, then
cd svn_r34731
then
sudo dpkg -i xbmc*.deb

and I got:
... ... ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xbmc-skin-confluence:
xbmc-skin-confluence depends on xbmc-data (= 2:10.00~svn34731-lucid1); however:
  Package xbmc-data is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing xbmc-skin-confluence (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xbmc-standalone:
xbmc-standalone depends on xbmc-data (= 2:10.00~svn34731-lucid1); however:
  Package xbmc-data is not configured yet.
xbmc-standalone depends on xbmc-skin-confluence (= 2:10.00~svn34731-lucid1); however:
  Package xbmc-skin-confluence is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing xbmc-standalone (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
xbmc-dbg_10.00~svn34731-lucid1_i386.deb
xbmc-live_10.00~svn34731-lucid1_i386.deb
xbmc-bin
xbmc-data
xbmc-eventclients-j2me
xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote
xbmc-skin-confluence
xbmc-standalone
xbmc

I don't know how to use the "force" option.
And I don't understand, I have removed all files xbmc related based on search and purge and autoremove commands and I still get error dependencies about xbmc and confluence.
I have no idea how to fix it. I wish to get back to install Dharma XBMC. Could anyone please help me?
try this:
Code:
sudo apt-get purge xbmc-*
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

(almost the same as you did, but the first command removes _all_ xbmc related packages, not just the meta package)
dushmaniac Wrote:try this:
Code:
sudo apt-get purge xbmc-*
sudo apt-get update

(almost the same as you did, but the first command removes _all_ xbmc related packages, not just the meta package)

Thank you very much but still not lucky... This was a new command and it actually found some xbmc related files and removed them.
Then:
sudo apt-get update
and the response:
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help resolve the situation:

xbmc: Depends: xbmc-data (= 2:10.00~svn34731-lucid1) but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: xbmc-skin-confluence (= 2:10.00~svn34731-lucid1) but it is not going to be installed

Exactly the same message as before. I don't understand it! And this was after I used your command and removed more files. It is crazy.
How could I fix it? Sad
maybe a stupid question, but did you run
Code:
apt-get update

was re-reading your post and I don't see it there Smile
NEVER install debs by hand. If it was that easy, it would just work.

Enable the Universe and Multiverse and apt-get update. That's all it takes.

TheUni
theuni Wrote:NEVER install debs by hand. If it was that easy, it would just work.

Enable the Universe and Multiverse and apt-get update. That's all it takes.

TheUni

Firstly, I wish to thank you very much for the valuable advice theuni! Smile

I have enabled the universe and multiverse and done the upgrade and it fixed the problem and I could install Dharma. I was in heaven... for some time.
Then, checking for upgrades, it tells me that the new 10.10 Maverick is available. Done the upgrade that it took forever and then the XBMC again did not worked.

I was very upset (especially when my husband was bugging me) and downloaded complete ubuntu Maverick dvd, reformated and started with new clean system. I made sure the repos main, universe and multiverse are checked and done the upgrade.

Then:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa
sudo apt-get update
and I got:
Code:
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu/dists/maverick/main/source/Sources.gz  404  Not Found
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu/dists/maverick/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz  404  Not Found
and of course:
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package xbmc
Since in the repos added maverick as distribution and since there is no maverick release/option in the PPAs page, the error could be explained.

So if I add the regular lucid built that I had before:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu lucid main
and then from terminal run:
I get again the crazy dependencies issue:
Code:
xbmc : Depends: xbmc-data (= 2:10.00~svn34731-lucid1) but it is not going to be installed
... and I am very upset because I don't know what else to do. Could you please help?
Should I install lucid and forget about maverick Huh
We don't have packages for Maverick yet. They'll be available with the next beta/rc.

If you wish, you can just add the the xbmc-svn-ppa and use the lucid repo, that works as a stopgap.

TheUni
theuni Wrote:We don't have packages for Maverick yet. They'll be available with the next beta/rc.

If you wish, you can just add the the xbmc-svn-ppa and use the lucid repo, that works as a stopgap.

TheUni

Hi, Smile
Well, that's what I tried 2nd time using:
Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu lucid main
and I got the dependencies issue.

Since it is freshly installed, I will reformat it, install the Lucid version and then XBMC. I will update it to Maverick when the ppa's will be available. I hope it will work (it should, right?) and not bug anyone. Smile