Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WIP] Magazine - a new skin concept
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Early preview of my WIP - Beta name : Magazine

will your skin come with a free pair of binoculars? ;-)
I like the idea a lot. But it obviously needs a lot of work.

..and yeah, font is way too small.
ronie Wrote:will your skin come with a free pair of binoculars? ;-)

lol best comment
needs more work but keep it up man
looks interesting, good luck Smile
Thanks for the comments. It is obviously a work in progress. (30 minutes of Photoshop)
The basic idea is to give a lot of place to information. Most skins focus on fanart (I am a fan of Aeon) But sometime I want to know more info about a band and find myself having to scroll or wait for auto scroll.

@ronie I was thinking about increasing the font size. Haven't been able to test it on my tv since it's broken (won't have it repaired before at least Tuesday)
Update : 100% preview Yellow Circles will be used when no thumb is loaded (rarely happens but it does).

Are you intending on using this skin on a tv? If so, you are you are going to struggle to read the majority of that text.

That font will simply be unreadable on a tv as the font size will be too small....
Yes on a tv. All text of small text? I'd rather know now than later!
Look at existing skins, and how much text they have on screen in relation to the size of images.

There is a reason that they don't have lots of text on screen at once - you simply can't fit it on screen using a big enough font.
I see. I tought it was because people were focusing on fanart etc.
Fraincs Wrote:I see. I tought it was because people were focusing on fanart etc.

Of course there are skins which are focusing on fanart (Aeon being the leader of them Wink) but I'm not sure if a lot of text is very user-friendly either because when I have to read a lot of (rather small) text on my tv my eyes begin hurting pretty fast because I really have to stare at the text to be able to read it. If the lines of the text go across the whole screen my girlfriend tends to loose the line when she has finished one and wants to proceed to the next one because the eyes have to move all the way back to the other side of the screen and find the appropriate line.

But I'm always interested in new approaches. Maybe you can increase the size a bit and still have a lot of text on the screen (if you make all the images rather small).
Fraincs Wrote:Yes on a tv. All text of small text? I'd rather know now than later!

One thing I do is take my PS mockup then save that as a .jpg then open that image up on my htpc. It'll give you a better feeling of how a skin would be compared to sitting 2ft away from the monitor....
Excatly what I am planning to do as soon as my tv is back! Hopefully I will be able to keep the general vibe of the skin while increasing the font size.
Pages: 1 2