Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: mysql library, 'hidden' requirements?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm rather confused what the 'requirements' are for mysql libraries to work on multiple machines, I have two Revos of similar spec running beta3 and a mysql server running on my file server.

In the past i've always used fstab to mount my fileserver shares as /~/tv etc (~ = home folder) and then defined them in sources.xml. Then i manually set the content type in xbmc and the scraper goes to work - I tried this method with the advancedsettings.xml for mysql storage - the first machine seemed to fill up the database fine.

I then cleaned the library on my second machine and added advancedsettings.xml and rebooted ... to my suprise it started scraping its own local database with no noticable 'error' in xbmc.log ...

I read somewhere (can't find it now) that you need to have similar folder names on your sources? What are the rules on sources.xml and local folders along with mysql libraries?

So confused....
The database stores a path for the files. Ideally you should use the same path to get to the files across all of your clients. It can be an SMB path or a filesystem path (think mounting an NFS share to the same mount point on all clients). The database can only accomplish storing all of the media information in one place if all clients can see the one reference and understand what it means.
Strange ... I use different usernames but I also tried mounting the shares at /tv etc and it still seemed to not sync up on the second machine I'll have to try with SMB paths.
Think its working now, think my second machine had a typo in advancedsettings.xml in the GPU temp tag not being closed which probably broke the DB settings - made me sort out mounting thumbnails on my nas anyway Smile

Potentially someone might find this helpful, from /etc/fstab:

Code:
//x.x.x.x/thumbs /home/*xbmc user*/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/ cifs username=xxxx,password=xxxx 0 0
I have a question on a related front.
Currently I have an Revo in the living room running Ubuntu and XBMC (might just make it XBMC Live tonight though). It's got an eSata HardDrive connected to it and in XBMC I just look straight to the path /media/MediaHD/Movies/ etc...

I then share that using Samba Server on the Revo to 2 Mac Laptops running XBMC.

So the file paths would be this on Ubuntu/Live:
/media/MediaHD/Movies

And this on Mac
smb://htpc/MediaHD/Movies

Or something along those lines anyway.
Does this mean that I can't use a central database for my library that propigates to all machines? I'm not that fussed about the scraping, just the little checked icon next to TV Episodes. The missus watches stuff in the Living Room, Bedroom and to my horror the Bath, so it would be nice to sync up what she's been watching...

Thanks for clearing this up for me.
Niietzshe
I would guess that on the ubuntu box you could also map to the local disk via the smb protocol (that it's sharing) and then they would both be the same.
Would I loose any speed in doing this?
Guess I'll just have to try it and see eh.
Niietzshe