Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Arch Linux or Ubuntu, thoughts please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hey,

I am developing a new disk image and obviously I would like to implement the Arch distro but unfortunately there is a tradeoff for this performance boost. HDMI audio does not work on the new Arch kernels because the old NVIDIA drivers cannot be compiled against the new kernels.

My new disk image is going to feature an automatic updating system and a UI installer (Windows only), which will allow users to image the distro to a USB or the internal hard drive (the program will install a script to a USB that can image the hard drive when the aTV boots from it). This will help people who have had issues resizing the media partition on the internal disk.

What I'd like to know is if people would prefer HDMI audio or a very fast distribution.

Thanks
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Hey,

What I'd like to know is if people would prefer HDMI audio or a very fast distribution.

Thanks

Fast distribution. I am using TOSLINK connection for audio, even though using HDMI for video. Course if I move my ATV to a secondary TV when Boxee box comes out, then I will flip to HDMI audio as I don't have surround sound on that tv Big Grin
HDMI please :-) And thanks for your efforts
Hi Sam,

would this distro be separate from the openelec.tv release discussed in the other thread?

if they are to be separate, (openelec.tv is to release their own arch-based appletv distro), then it might be better to stay with ubuntu and hdmi audio.

otherwise, it sounds as if there would be duplication of efforts
Trexx Wrote:Fast distribution. I am using TOSLINK connection for audio, even though using HDMI for video.

Same here... I would prefer to install to ATV internal (40GB) if not having too much of a learning curve (old dogs, new tricks thing). If not, then running from stick is fine (as long as we can use entire stick).
As it is now, I updated my 8GB stick to Dharma 3 and only have 120MB to work with after it installed XBMC.

I am enjoying the new update as now I once again have ProjectM viz and music song to song fading. I just have to be careful not to overload the stick.

I have a Windows machine to work with so am excited about automatic updating system and a UI installer that might allow me to finally use an external or even ATV internal to boot from (rather than stick).

Can't wait for a new image to play with!!
Good to get some feedback.

I am going to do a Ubuntu 8.0.4 minimal and will probably do Arch later. I was going to wait for Dharma to be finalised, but with auto-updating there won't be a problem. Hopefully Pin will work with me on this but he seems occupied as of late. This is a separate work from the openelec.tv image.
As much as I'd like to see faster performance, HDMI audio support is critical.

Is it possible to make the navigation sounds work as well?

Do you need help with the UI installer? I'm a .NET guy and I'm well versed in the framework.
thanks for your work on the images, they make life so easier.

I'll be waiting for Arch image with new kernel, as the old one doesn't work properly with cf cards.
Philmatic Wrote:As much as I'd like to see faster performance, HDMI audio support is critical.

Is it possible to make the navigation sounds work as well?

Do you need help with the UI installer? I'm a .NET guy and I'm well versed in the framework.

Not sure about the issues with navigation sounds to be honest. I don't think it's an ATV specific issue.

Regards the .NET, thank you for the offer but I am capable of doing it. All it involves is a bit of InteropServices to FullFat and some byte array manipulation to inject scripts into the disk image that are customised behind the UI

docentore Wrote:thanks for your work on the images, they make life so easier.

I'll be waiting for Arch image with new kernel, as the old one doesn't work properly with cf cards.

You're welcome
Personally, I couldn't give a flying-squirrel's nuts for HDMI at all. I was one of those suckers that bought a plasma screen 9 years ago so you lot could get them cheap!

However, I expect I'll switch out my TV at some point, and then I'll likely be after HDMI. And I'd rather not have to rush out for an ION then...
Wow, that's an early adopter Smile
Another vote for sticking with 8.04

IMO it's quite fast as it is, and an absolutely massive improvement from using the ATV OS.

I finally updated to Dharma and r171 CHD, and enabled the DDS fanart compression. To say it was an improvement over my previous setup is the understatement of the century.

I think if everyone could get to this point even, they'd be happy.

I have at least 2 coworkers that I made buy the CHD and they're waiting on an easier way to get to where I am because 2 pages of Terminal is considered a barrier to entry! Big Grin
Hi,

TeknoJnky Wrote:if they are to be separate, (openelec.tv is to release their own arch-based appletv distro), then it might be better to stay with ubuntu and hdmi audio.

Where you (and some others) have this information that OpenELEC.tv is Arch based? OpenELEC.tv is an embedded linux build from scratch and depends on no distribution. The buildsystem comes originally from GeeXbox/OpenBricks, and is much changed over the time. :-)
Sam, as I previously understood, you were investigating to join forces with the Openelec.tv project.

May I assume that you're both going your own way now compared to create 'one distribution that rules them all' ?
Faster distribution over HDMI audio btw.
Pages: 1 2 3 4