Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [ATV-OSX w/chd] Dharma Beta 3 is a no-go!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have installed and tested Dharma beta 3 and it has numerous major problems. It can not play HD movies at all, it has problems navigating DVD movies, it has problems with digital audio: I only tested DTS that does not play if there is no pass-through. I did not test everything but that's already enough to not use this release. I have reverted back to Dharma Beta 2 and all the problems are gone. Something has been seriously screwed up in Beta 3 and for those who haven't step on them yet may be you better stick with Beta 2 for a while until the problems are figured out. Sorry about that 'cause it's been a visible progress between Beta 1 and Beta 2 and I expected more from Beta 3.
I cant get the Apple Remote to work in beta 3 but that seems to be about it. I had some h264 frame drop issues but it seems to just be at the start when its buffering.
I tend to agree with Konan that beta3 is worst than beta2
The same file at start up looses 10 frames on beta2 and 253 on beta3 and keeps doing it
So I downgraded.
The log shows the usual buffer being drained but nothing more. It looks like a memory handling problem
title of this thread is a bit misleading, it only refers to CHD atv instalation? I have zero issues with B3 on ATV and 720p content
Yes only with CrystalHD the rest of features work fine
However when you have a library of high profile 720p H264 that is all you use
all I am saying is that title suggests that the B3 is a no go on ATV, when instead its only an issue on ATV-OSX with chd
Dharma_beta3 is working like a charm on Crystalbuntu Smile
fl0w Wrote:Dharma_beta3 is working like a charm on Crystalbuntu Smile

How is that relevant to this thread?
fl0w Wrote:Dharma_beta3 is working like a charm on Crystalbuntu Smile

Good for you, but you confused the thread, pal.
Amet Wrote:all I am saying is that title suggests that the B3 is a no go on ATV, when instead its only an issue on ATV-OSX with chd

In case you haven't noticed the title says [ATV-OSX w/chd].

Also what's point to use ATV without CrystalHD at all? I consider CrystalHD support on ATV is one of the most important features that makes the XBMC stand out. If it does not work that is a no-go from my point of view. It's like having a car that looks nice but does not drive.

I have a library of about 3 hundred movies about 30% of them are HD. I am testing each XBMC version I install with roughly the same set of about 10-15 movies that covers most of different encoding combinations like: video 480p/720p/1080p; audio DD 5.1, DD 2.0, DTS, AAC, PCM; codecs MPEG2, DivX, H.264; containers VOB, AVI, MP4, MPG, MKV.

Based on my testing Dharma 3 did not pass the smoke test on ATV with OSX and CrystalHD as opposed to Dharma 2 that did. That's why I am saying Dharma 3 is a no-go on ATV with OSX with CrystalHD.

At the same time Dharma 3 may work perfectly on other platforms, I don't know that and no saying anything about other platforms. However based on a common principle if a software is multi-platform it has to be tested on all supported platforms and if it does not pass a test on even just one platform it does not pass the test at all. Or otherwise the platform that it does not pass a test on is not supported.
konan Wrote:In case you haven't noticed the title says [ATV-OSX w/chd].

it does now

konan Wrote:Also what's point to use ATV without CrystalHD at all? I consider CrystalHD support on ATV is one of the most important features that makes the XBMC stand out. If it does not work that is a no-go from my point of view. It's like having a car that looks nice but does not drive.

I have a library of about 3 hundred movies about 30% of them are HD. I am testing each XBMC version I install with roughly the same set of about 10-15 movies that covers most of different encoding combinations like: video 480p/720p/1080p; audio DD 5.1, DD 2.0, DTS, AAC, PCM; codecs MPEG2, DivX, H.264; containers VOB, AVI, MP4, MPG, MKV.

Based on my testing Dharma 3 did not pass the smoke test on ATV with OSX and CrystalHD as opposed to Dharma 2 that did. That's why I am saying Dharma 3 is a no-go on ATV with OSX with CrystalHD.

to say that something didnt pass a test because you use it on underpowered machine thats not supposed to be running it in a first place is just silly.

its like saying that xbmc didnt pass on win platform just cos you trying to run it on 486 100Mhz machine Smile

I love ATV, I have one myself, and have no issue with you saying that its a no go... just for the record.

konan Wrote:At the same time Dharma 3 may work perfectly on other platforms, I don't know that and no saying anything about other platforms. However based on a common principle if a software is multi-platform it has to be tested on all supported platforms and if it does not pass a test on even just one platform it does not pass the test at all. Or otherwise the platform that it does not pass a test on is not supported.

it passed on my Macbook pro with the flying colors, that is the OSX platform, the same one you are using on ATV.
Amet Wrote:to say that something didnt pass a test because you use it on underpowered machine thats not supposed to be running it in a first place is just silly.

That 'underpowered machine' is an officially supported platform or correct me if I am wrong.

Amet Wrote:it passed on my Macbook pro with the flying colors, that is the OSX platform, the same one you are using on ATV.

The fact that your Macbook runs similar (though not exactly the same) OS does not make it the same platform ... just for the record :-).
They both are running the same build of xbmc. The only difference is that ATV uses 10.4 variant of osx and MBP is on snow leopard.

ATV is hardware, platform is OSX, B3 works perfectly well on osx as a platform, I am not saying that there is no issues with CHD and 1080p but 720p works well for me on ATV.
I'm having similar problems in Beta 3. Is there an easy way to downgrade to beta 2 without rebuilding?
mng70 Wrote:I'm having similar problems in Beta 3. Is there an easy way to downgrade to beta 2 without rebuilding?

Read a method in the post http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=550588&postcount=3 and use proper URLs to install B2.
Pages: 1 2 3