Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HippoRemote on iPhone and XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a strange issue with XBMC while using VNC. I must note that I am NOT attempting to view video through VNC. Rather, I am using HippoRemote to control the playback of the video on my LCD TV. If I connect or disconnect from the VNC session, XBMC will lock up and go black, but I can still hear the audio. If I stop and restart the video, everything goes back to normal. XBMC works just fine while VNC is running and only encounters this when connecting/disconnecting. I have enabled the VNC mirror driver (though I'm not sure if it does anything in my case) and I have disabled any popups from VNC that would interfere with the screen. This is a huge PITA as I don't want to stay connected with HippoRemote at all times. Everything I have found when searching on this has related to individuals attempting to actually view video through VNC. If I overlooked something, please point me to any relevent threads. Thank you in advance for any help!

Additional info:

Windows Version - Windows 7 x64
CPU/Architecture - AMD Phenom II X4 810 64 Bit
RAM - 8 GB
Video Card - Onboard Radeon HD 4200 w/ DX11
Sound Card - Onboard
XBMC Revision - 9.11
VNC Version - RealVNC Server 4.5.4
HippoRemote Version - HippoRemote Pro 2.3.3 on iPhone 4 IOS 4.0.1
The interaction of DirectX and VNC is rarely a happy one. Your best option is switch to a different method of controlling XBMC, for example a remote control or wireless keyboard.

JR
@jhsrennie

Thanks for the info. That's too bad because controlling XBMC with my iPhone had a nice cool factor and was pretty cheap. I appreciate the response nonetheless.
I know but I'm not going to be much help here but I've used 3 different iPhones with XBMC through HippoRemote and not once have I had an issue.

I'd suggest you un-install HippoRemote and re-install per their instructions on their website. If that does not fix it, contact their customer support and see if they can be of help. They usually respond with-in 24 hours.
ProfessorChaos Wrote:@jhsrennie

Thanks for the info. That's too bad because controlling XBMC with my iPhone had a nice cool factor and was pretty cheap. I appreciate the response nonetheless.

It's just possible that the "Use a fullscreen window ..." setting might help. Go to Settings, System, Video output and enable the "Use a fullscreen window instead of true fullscreen" setting.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:It's just possible that the "Use a fullscreen window ..." setting might help. Go to Settings, System, Video output and enable the "Use a fullscreen window instead of true fullscreen" setting.

JR

... I also suggest you try this.

I use Hipporemote without any issue.
Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions. I've been away and just got back to this post. I'll be sure to check it out and report the results.
Does the 'next' button work for anyone else using hipporemote? I'm always having to bring up the osd when i want to skip past an episode.
Sorry for the extremely long delay. I hate when people never follow up on old posts.

I ended up reloading my iPhone when I updated to 4.1. I also did a clean install of XBMC (deleted all leftovers after uninstalling first). It now has a small, almost unnoticeable, hiccup when connecting/disconnecting, but none of the problems I had before. Thank you to everybody for the suggestions and I hope to be able to help others out now that I'm getting some experience under my belt.
hendoben Wrote:Does the 'next' button work for anyone else using hipporemote? I'm always having to bring up the osd when i want to skip past an episode.

Doesn't the 'next' button only skip chapters? I'm not at my box to try this out, but I thought that was the whole point of that button in HippoRemote (just like on a regular remote). I'll reply if I remember to try it out later.
I am a total newbie to XBMC and would like an idiots guide (and I really mean idiots guide!), to controlling XBMC live via HippoRemote from an iphone.
I already have the app, but need help with what I have to do on the XBMC (which is installed to HD on Acer Revo).
I understand I will need to install x11vnc, but I am totally lost as to how I install this, and as to what other settings are required to get HippoRemote to work!

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Spacehopper
Spacehopper Wrote:I am a total newbie to XBMC and would like an idiots guide (and I really mean idiots guide!), to controlling XBMC live via HippoRemote from an iphone.
I already have the app, but need help with what I have to do on the XBMC (which is installed to HD on Acer Revo).
I understand I will need to install x11vnc, but I am totally lost as to how I install this, and as to what other settings are required to get HippoRemote to work!

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Spacehopper

I know this isn't exactly the answer you are looking for, but there is an XBMC specific remote for the iPhone from collect3, just stick in the IP of your XBMC and off it goes, no messing with VNC etc. Unless Hippo Remote can also connect natively to XBMC without VNC, but alas, I don't know the answer to that one...
Many thanks turbodonkey for your reply.

I agree there are other iPhone remotes which probably would satisfy my needs but there are some very good reports about HippoRemote Pro. It just seems that there isn't any information about setting this up with XBMC. I'm hoping that somebody who already successfully uses this app with XBMC will be able to advise me.
I don't think there is supposed to be any setup for hipporemote. I'm pretty sure it's just doing keyboard emulation. If you are just using it for XBMC then switch to the collect3 remote. Hippo is pretty cool and totally killer on a mac, but stilly to want to use just for XBMC. Did you look at the setup guide on hipporemote.com? http://hipporemote.com/setup_windows
You are correct about hippo and windows but my XBMC Live installation is installed directly onto an Acer Revo.
Pages: 1 2