Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Zotac GT430 Zone anyone?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
poofyhairguy Wrote:Got one on the way....

go for it, poofy! temar and I are really anxious to know Cool
Hi guys,
Looking for threads on gt-430 under linux, and found that one.
I am not using xbmc but mythtv but we are on the same linux boat Cool
I am waiting for an evga 1024M DDR3 GT 430 to be delivered at mine. I plan to try it out of the box with a fresh install of mythbuntu 10.10 (Ubuntu 10.10) and then add developer linux drivers 260.19.14 (next certified release, but no idea when).
I will leave a feedback here and there
teher811 Wrote:Hi guys,
Looking for threads on gt-430 under linux, and found that one.
I am not using xbmc but mythtv but we are on the same linux boat Cool
I am waiting for an evga 1024M DDR3 GT 430 to be delivered at mine. I plan to try it out of the box with a fresh install of mythbuntu 10.10 (Ubuntu 10.10) and then add developer linux drivers 260.19.14 (next certified release, but no idea when).
I will leave a feedback here and there
So I got the card. First results are: video OK, audio NOK.
I used developer drivers 260.19.14 for the display.

Desktop:
----------
Advanced effects OK.

Video:
-------
I could use vdpau to playback hd videos (tried with 1080p mkv files), picture is great and smooth, advanced deinterlacing seems to work well.

Audio:
-------
Device is not recognised by ALSA (it is not seen as 'HDA Nvidia' and doesn't appear in the list when typing command 'aplay -l'). Didn't find yet how to
until a new version of alsa is out that adds support for the gt430 (1.24?) we're out of luck there, I guess. teher, could you have a look at this thread? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=84706 also I'd suggest we focus on this thread here for all GT430-related issues and performance/experience reports
I got the exact same results in Linux when I messed with it last night. Big disappointment. I guess we are gonna have to stick to recommending GT210s and 220s.

But I will say in Windows the card CAN do 3D like is advertised. Using Powerdvd with my 3D plasma and a 3D Blu Ray I got really excellent 3D performance, with only a slight lag every now and then.

I plan to rip the "How to Train Your Dragon" disk and play it back in XBMC Live as soon as I can to confirm that VDPAU can even handle non Half SBS files. If it works then only a few things would need to be added to XBMC to have real 3D support.

Overall though I officially only recommend this card for Windows XBMC users that really want HD Audio bitstreaming. For Linux users a GT220 is a much better choice as of now...
Also you can always swap your 220 HT for this one: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/pr...2_&mID=105

This opens up some new options for people that did not buy the zodiac passive card.
ZERO <ibis>' Wrote:Also you can always swap your 220 HT for this one: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/pr...2_&mID=105

This opens up some new options for people that did not buy the zodiac passive card.

I have messed with that particular heatsink and I must say its HUGE. It is also pretty expensive.

By far the current best card for a passive option in Linux is this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814134100
teher811 Wrote:So I got the card. First results are: video OK, audio NOK.

Desktop:
----------
Advanced effects OK.

Video:
-------
I could use vdpau to playback hd videos (tried with 1080p mkv files), picture is great and smooth, advanced deinterlacing seems to work well.

Audio:
-------
Device is not recognised by ALSA (it is not seen as 'HDA Nvidia' and doesn't appear in the list when typing command 'aplay -l'). Didn't find yet how to

im also using developer drivers 260.19.14 for the display but cannot get it to work, xbmc complains that a compatible accellerated openGL nvidia driver cannot be found.

Did you do anything in particular to get the driver to work, i.e disable the nouveau kernel driver??
I'm also having issues with my EVGA GT 430. I've got the display working properly (with x-swat drivers) but the system doesn't recognize the HDMI sound device. when I check with "aplay -l" it doesn't show the card (just my usb spdif). If anyone finds proper drivers for this card PLEASE post it here.
teher811 Wrote:So I got the card. First results are: video OK, audio NOK.

Did you try the codec patches to get HDMI working?
Temar Wrote:Did you try the codec patches to get HDMI working?
Would you happen to know of a good walkthrough for applying those patches? (I'm still a n00b with linux)
Once audio bitstreaming is figured out for XBMC on Linux, I think it'll be the ultimate card!
beyondinferno Wrote:Would you happen to know of a good walkthrough for applying those patches? (I'm still a n00b with linux)

No, sorry, you need some basic knowledge of Linux development tools. Basically you could just use "apt-get --source alsa-lib", then patch the file using "patch -p1 < file.patch" and build your custom library using "apt-get source --compile alsa-lib". That is the only "easy" way I can think of. However this will not work if the patch does not apply to your current alsa-lib version and there are also many other pitfalls. Moreover you need a current kernel or patch your kernel version yourself.

You might want to contact the user seaweed as he got sound working and was looking into building some Ubuntu packages.
redstorm Wrote:im also using developer drivers 260.19.14 for the display but cannot get it to work, xbmc complains that a compatible accellerated openGL nvidia driver cannot be found.

Did you do anything in particular to get the driver to work, i.e disable the nouveau kernel driver??
I downloaded drivers, install them and it was working. I was able to use openGL (in mythTV) and I could really feel the difference vs qt, so that worked for me.
Although typing command 'lspci -vv | grep -i nvidia' showed me the card is using nouveau amongst other stuff.
Did you try to disable nouveau?

I forgot to mention I although tried it out of the box using ubuntu recommended drivers (System->Administration->Hardware Drivers). It installed version 260.19.06 and it worked.
Temar Wrote:No, sorry, you need some basic knowledge of Linux development tools. Basically you could just use "apt-get --source alsa-lib", then patch the file using "patch -p1 < file.patch" and build your custom library using "apt-get source --compile alsa-lib". That is the only "easy" way I can think of. However this will not work if the patch does not apply to your current alsa-lib version and there are also many other pitfalls. Moreover you need a current kernel or patch your kernel version yourself.

You might want to contact the user seaweed as he got sound working and was looking into building some Ubuntu packages.
I am not sure the patch would work. Maybe downloading the source, adding the card id and compile it.
I downloaded the source and can see in folder 'include' a file called 'pci_ids_compat.h'. I could try to do something with it Eek but only next week as I am away for the week-end Nod.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9