Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Planning an XBMC only PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Howdy!

Currently XBMC runs on a Windows7 PC. This PC also hosts all my shared files, servers, etc. I'm considering building a tiny PC to install in my TV rack to dedicate to XBMC.

I'm not too familiar with what XBMC really needs as far as horsepower to perform well. I will be playing 1080p content over HDMI with 7.1 surround audio. I *MIGHT* add a bluray drive for bluray movies, but that isn't a large concern at this time.

Looking online, I see several mini ATX mainboards with onboard HDMI/audio, gig lan that look like good candidates. I even see some Atom based boards.

Since this is a dedicated system, I'd be installing Linux XBMC and want to be sure that the hardware will work as expected.

Can someone suggest what to look for or avoid?

Current system is an Opteron 165 machine with an ATI Radeon 5700 card providing HDMI video/audio output. Unfortunately, I've two problems with this PC. #1 - Display always adds 10% overscan, so I end up with a black border. #2 - Audio video will become jerky and staticy after the machine has been up for several hours, requiring a reboot to fix.

Any help is appreciated!
i have a ati card and if u go into the settings u can adjust that problem
in the catalyst control panel
acegutta22 Wrote:i have a ati card and if u go into the settings u can adjust that problem

Oh, as soon as I open the CCC, the problem corrects itself. For some reason the PC is ignoring the CCC settings until I actually load the CCC.
Update CCC to either 10.9a hotfix or 10.10. Overscan problems are known in CCC 10.9, fixed in either of the 2 later revisions.