Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Firefox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Today I have installed xbmc life version (with ubuntu). It looks perfect, but I can't find web browser - firefox. I need web browser to search for torrents and so on...Is there any simple way to include it into xbmc? I haven't work with linux yet, so I don't know its commands.

Or, is there an option to install first ubuntu and then xbmc and change between them each time I need web browser?

Thank you for your answers,

Simon
you can install the full ubuntu desktop and install xbmc as an application. It will work like a "normal computer".

You can also install firefox in live and start it with the launcher or the executor depending on what verison of live.

If you are using 9.11 you have to add the luancher. The executor is pre-installed in LiveDharma (beta version).

Search for a guide.
Thank you for your answer. I have version 9.11 and It has everything the most users would need except web browser. Normaly every user first have to search and download some torrent files, before you can watch videos. So I wonder why that is not already integrated?

Anyway I found your post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=71664
but it looks complicated, if you have never seen linux before.

for example I even don't know how to do this:
"...and position your self in that user's home directory..."

or what means this line:
sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install firefox flashplugin-nonfree
in sql 2 minus signs(--) means comment

Is there some tutorial about this commands that I can learn the basics before I try your script?

Thank you for your help,
br
Simon
I don't think downloading torrents is the target for the LiveCD. It is certainly possible but you have to add it your self. You have perhaps noticed that there is no torrent client included either.

The web browser part I could agree should be added to the scope. Luckely it is a bit easier in the new version that is being beta tested right now. The executor is pre-installed.

I think a lot of people install a client with a web interface and download from the browser on their laptop/desktop. Personally I use nxserver to connect to a background gui.

If you want to minimize the amount of linux you have to learn I recommend you to try dharma beta (or wait to the release) and try to follow the rest of my guide.

Quote:in sql 2 minus signs(--) means comment
It is an option not a comment. Execute the complete line.

The command is the "apt-get" part. If you want to know the details google it.

Quote:Is there some tutorial about this commands that I can learn the basics before I try your script?
Yes, any ubuntu tut you can find on the google.
So, what option do you suggest?
I have new zotac mini PC
http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-zbox-zboxh...ni-pc.html

I need it only for downloading and watching media files(movies, music...) and for nothing else.
I don't want to have another computer just for searching and downloading torrents and zotac for watching them. I would like to have all in one.
This zotac is 24hours/day powered on and it's nice to have it also for downloading torrent files. So, I need torrent client and web browser besides the basic xbmc functionallity.
One way is to install Dharma beta4 and include browser and torrent client into it. Other way is to install linux ubuntu(or windows 7) and install xbmc on top of it. I like first option more, but I would like to hear your opinion first.
Otherwise I like xbmc, it looks great.

You are also great with your help, thank you a lot.

Best regards,
Simon
Well, If you want to retain the front-end capabilities, you can always drop to the command line and type
Code:
sudo apt-get install x11vnc tightvncserver fluxbox ssh
these are the tools to use the desktop in the background.

you then type type your password, then type
Code:
tightvncserver
this starts the vnc server on :1

Then to activate torrents, you can remote desktop vnc into your media center, use it like a basic ubuntu computer, and have your torrents running on desktop 192.168.1.xxx:1 while your media center is running on :0

Another option would be to drop to the command line and type xinit fluxbox and just use xbmc from the main desktop