Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MCE remote issues with zotac/XBMC/Ubuntu 10.04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm aware this isn't specifically an XBMC issue, but being fairly new to using Linux, I am more comfortable on this forum and figure that other folk may have encountered this same issue when setting up XBMC on a zotac box. I have done a fair bit of searching, on both google (and so ubuntu fora) and on here, and only find partially related issues that have very specific solutions, so haven't quite found anything suitable.

So, after realising my old xbox had to be retired if i wanted to play HD mkvs, I decided to pick up a Zotac Zbox, install Ubuntu 10.04 and XBMC (dharma B4). I've had a few trials/tribulations (due to my limited, ever growing knowledge of linux) and am now struggling with the remote control.

Its a standard MCE remote/receiver combo (granted not official HP receveiver or MS remote) and after setting up LIRC, I have it working in XBMC.

The problem however, is that after starting the zbox into XBMC, i need to unplug the recevier and plug it back in, before it will start working (the same if in ubuntu and wanting irw to work). Once I have done that, it works flawlessly, until I switch it off and turn it back on again. It's almost like i need something to initiate when the system starts to recognise the USB receiver is present.

Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this issue? I haven't got as far as trying to sort out the resume from suspend issues I'm bound to encounter with the zbox. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Elliot
What brand is the IR combo?
I have one myself that is branded Cypress.
Mine works as a HID mouse/keyboard combination and outputs keyboard key combinations. Play button for example is ctrl+shift+p or something like that.
What is your output of lsusb?
I have similar problem with Zbox after resuming from suspend; the remote doesn´t work. After reboot it works fine. Using HP´s MCE-receiver.
Quote:What brand is the IR combo?
The remote iteself has no branding, the receiver has a microsoft label on the underside, no HP branding on the top however.

Quote:What is your output of lsusb?
After starting up, output of lsusb reconigses the 'Philips home receiver' (or something trivially similar), so recognises that the receiver is conected by usb. But 'irw' returns a 'connection refused' error. If i then unplug/replug the IR receiver, and immediately repeat 'irw', the terminal window acts as expected and the remote returns recognised commands.

Quote: have similar problem with Zbox after resuming from suspend; the remote doesn´t work. After reboot it works fine. Using HP´s MCE-receiver.
Whilst I am aware this is a known issue with the zbox, this is not currently the issue I am having, although I am aware o a number of threads on this forum (and on the zotac forum) covering that exact topic. As i said in my first post, I haven't got as far as contending with this issue just yet, I'm having problems with the zbox taking commands from the receiver without it being unplugged/replugged first.

Thank you for your responses
thedirtyshark Wrote:Whilst I am aware this is a known issue with the zbox, this is not currently the issue I am having, although I am aware o a number of threads on this forum (and on the zotac forum) covering that exact topic. As i said in my first post, I haven't got as far as contending with this issue just yet, I'm having problems with the zbox taking commands from the receiver without it being unplugged/replugged first.

Thank you for your responses

Ok. Just resolved my own problem with this: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Automatic_li...ume_script . And with Dharma Beta 4 resuming from suspend works first time for me.

This might be a stupid question, but is your receiver plugged in one of the two USB-ports just under eSata -connection?
Quote:is your receiver plugged in one of the two USB-ports just under eSata -connection?

No, currently it is plugged into the usb port on the front of the zbox, but i have tried starting up the machine with the IR receiver in each of the usb ports, and the same thing happens - need to unplug/replug etc etc.

I have seen that wiki but haven't followed it, my receiver/zbox isn't functioning properly on start up, let alone trying to tackle the wake from suspend issue.
I am having very similar problems here.

I have an Asus Eee Box EB1012. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and I just upgraded XBMC to Dharma RC1 (but this was happening with Beta 4). I agree with you, Shark, I don't think this is an XBMC issue. It has something to do with Ubuntu recognizing the IR receiver or how the receiver behaves during startup/reboot.

I have a Phillips (rebranded as "Dell") IR Receiver and remote control. I also have a Microsoft MCE IR Keyboard (XP version 1.0). Both work great until I either shutdown the machine & start it back up or I reboot the machine.

My IR receiver has a green LED and a red one. Apparently, the green indicates "On" and the red one flashes when it receives commands from either the remote or the keyboard.

When I shutdown/restart or reboot the machine, the green light doesn't come on. If I unplug the receiver from USB and plug it back in, the green light comes on and everything works great.

Another observation. After reboot, when the green light is off, I can press the power button on the remote and the green light comes on. However, the remote and keyboard still don't work (though the red light does flash). I have to unplug/plug in the receiver before it'll work. This tells me the receiver is getting power after reboot, but Ubuntu isn't recognizing that it's there. This is also confirmed by the output from lsusb.

lsusb does not list the receiver after startup. If I unplug/plug in the IR receiver, then lsusb lists it as a Phillips.

Sorry about all the low-tech talk about lights being on/off but I wanted to describe what's going on and see if there's anyone out there who has solved this.
Holy Smokes I found a work-around!!!

I found this forum thread (translated from German):
http://translate.google.si/translate?hl=...revious%2F

In the last post, "skeeter" suggests connecting the IR Receiver to a hub. I drug out an old powered USB hub and put it between my IR receiver and the Eee Box.
IT WORKS! I can reboot and the "green light comes on" but, more importantly, the remote & keyboard work every time!

Way to go skeeter!

It's a bit of a kludge, but it's working. Now to hide all the extra cables and such.

If this problem is not present with a Microsoft receiver, I'll go find one of those. Can anyone verify that?