Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: xbmc-Dharma_beta4-live.iso usb wont boot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi, i have a acer revo nettop and i am trying to create a usb using xbmc-Dharma_beta4-live.iso. i tried unetbootin and i tried dd if=xbmc-Dharma_beta4-live.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=8192.

but when i restart my pc and hit f12 to select the usb drive it hangs for a second then boots up my fedora drive. the usb boots up fine with fedora-lxde-live-usb or fedora-14-live-usb...
is there some config file that must be toggled in order to boot ?; will this be fixed when the release candidate comes out ?; i cant remember if i had this problem when i made my xbmc-9.11-live-usb.
How big is the USB drive you are trying to boot from? I had problems with a 1GB drive and had to go for something bigger.
8 gb
If we can get this figured out, I would like to know as well. My goal is to boot from the usblive to test out new releases without messing with the current install\configuration on the internal HD.
Pls use Bootable Disk Wizard (nicer boot experience) or updated unetbootin
thx luigi, i seem to have the latest unetbootin:
Code:
[schneidz@hyper XBMC_Live]$ sudo yum install unetbootin
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Install Process
Package unetbootin-0-8.494bzr.fc13.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do
i am trying to figure out how to install bdw and see how far i get.
^ hi luigi, i am not able to figure out how to run the Bootable Disk Wizard (it is not in my scripts menu in xbmc).

can you help me understand what i am doing wrong ?

thanks,
unetbootin: it seems you need a very recent version, never tried it though.
BDW: it's installed by default in XBMCLive, go to programs (scripts).
Note: you may want to update BDW to the latest version.
^ thx luigi, seems like i need the latest version of xbmc to be able to use bdw (chicken/ egg).

i have been able to use unetbootin and then do
Code:
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/XBMC_Live /dev/sdc
and create a /media/XBMC_Live/boot/grub/grub.conf file to at least get to grub at boot-up.
i edited grub to use:
kernel /live/initrd.img
initrd /live/initrd.img

but now it is erroring on "Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/live/image/live/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs"
then drops me to a busybox shell.

i think because it is not an ntfs partition ? ...
cat live.log yeilds: "mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Invalid argument"
fyi, i appended debug to my boot string and it yielded a much larger live.log file. i uploaded it here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/...1289234649

thanks for any help you can give me.
Cant access the log. Use pastebin or similar.
^ sorry, hopefully this link works:
http://pastebin.com/izWSWJBh

what i find weird is that there a numerous mounts for /dev/sda (my internal harddrive).
it should be booting from /dev/sdb (my usb drive).
From a very quick vire, the usb is not formatted correctly, it does not have a partition (/dev/sdb1) according to the log.
You seem to have an optical drive: boot from the Dharma cd and run BDW from the LiveCD.
^ thanks for taking a look...
there is no optical drive but it is kinda weird that it makes a reference to /dev/sdc ?
(it mite be my lexmark printer/scanner/fax that doesnt even work in linux)

edit:
maybe something got fubar'd when i downloaded grub2 and ran
Code:
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/XBMC_Live /dev/sdc
# my fedora machine automounts the usb drive as /dev/sdc
as a last resort, have a look at the script and perform these steps manually, it's just a matter of formatting copying, grub-ing... Smile
Pages: 1 2