Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Networking to computer that holds all the media
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm having some trouble getting everything set up so that I can have one computer running XBMC Live and another that hosts all the files.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on a poweredge T105. This is the computer that holds all the media. To get started, I booted another computer with an AMD processor that usually runs windows from a CD holding XBMC Live 9.11. When the computer was running windows, I was able to successfully map a network drive to the Ubuntu shared folder. But when I try to add the same folder as a video source when I boot on XBMC Live, it fails.

I feel like I'm standing on solid ground when it comes to this stuff. I see other people on here talking about "Oh yeah, I networked the computers, yada yada" like it was easy, then when I try to do it, nothing works right. Are there any resources I should be consulting before attempting this, or is this a weird problem that I shouldn't be having?

I've attached a picture so it can be seen what I am doing:

Works when I boot from windows:

Obvious question, but is networking working? Also it should be "smb://192.168.1.2/Videos/" you enter.

What does your debug log say? Post a full debug log of you trying to add the source and it will show what the problem is.
DutrowLLC Wrote:I'm having some trouble getting everything set up so that I can have one computer running XBMC Live and another that hosts all the files.

I've attached a picture so it can be seen what I am doing:

Works when I boot from windows:

leave off the /videos in the path you are setting up. You don't have a folder called that. Try just smb://192.168.1.2
Indeed without the videos part.
But why dont you browse your network and select thet server in the found items?
Thanks for everyone's help, it was the "smb:" in "smb://192.168.1.2" that I was missing.

I do actually have a folder called "Videos" there, in fact, mapping a networked drive with windows didn't work without adding the folder. I did try all combinations I could think of first before posting for help (with "Videos", without, caps, lowercase, slashes going different ways, etc...) I just didn't know to put the "smb" there.

I did try browsing the network, but it didn't turn up anything. It doesn't look like my networking is working correctly actually. Only my two windows computers can see each other. The reason I had to map a network drive was because shares on the Ubuntu computer didn't show up and I'm also pretty sure my roomates windows machines aren't showing up either and they should (they did a few weeks ago, not sure why they aren't now). Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this? I don't even know where to start, for all I know is a problem with the individual machines, or my router, I don't know much about networking.

Thanks for all your help though.