Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DTS/AC3 Sound Problems over onboard S/PDIF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys

Can somebody please help me out with my Soundproblem by using the onboard VT1708A VIA HD Audio in XBMC?

Following is my equipment:

- Motherboard Asus M3A78 with optical s/pdif out (VIA HD Audio VT1708B 8-Channel): w w w.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=5pvgDAXJUV2orYzn)
- Logitech Z-5500 connected via s/pdif cable to VIA HD Audio s/pdif out on the motherboard. The Z-5500 accepts DTS and AC3.

I successfully setup the VIA HD Audio onboard sound in Windows (vista). I'm also able to watch DTS/AC3 featured movies there. But it's not that smooth like in XBMC (bucking sometimes).

How can I set up the necessary drivers for this onboard sound in linux (xbmc)? Would be ridiculous to buy an extra soundcard for this feature only. by the way I got one...
The Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 24/96 PCI. But it's analog only and there's no s/pdif option. So just forget it.

XBMC do recognize the VIA chipset in the sound options, but it's not working when you select it. I tried several combinations. I also tried to bridge my gpu (Asus EN9600GT) with the enclosed sound
cable in order to get sound over hdmi. Not working...

Do I have to program something? I'm not a linux user so I have absolut no experience. Thank you for your help.

Sad
Using Xbmc Live? I hope not, else see: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83614

Using hdmi for the dig. audio out? Then there are a lot of posts about that. Some even have solutions/workarounds. Wink