Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How can I get started with a new concept skin for XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm planing on building a skin for xbmc. I was just wondering, and as I know this community is the most helpful Ive seen on any forum on the web. I've yet to see anyone bash anyone which makes this an awesome community wish all were like this. but getting back on topic. Nod Like I was saying i am planing on starting a project for an XBMC skin. I was wondering... If I made the Mock-up could I hand it over to one of you talented coders and you just finish the rest for me? I know absolutely nothing about coding but do have some knowledge in graphic arts.

By the way I love the skins ya'll have submitted and would easily pay money for most of them.
fyi you're basically asking 'if i do 5% of the work, will somebody else do the other 95%?'
yeah. but its not like i would take all the credibility. jeez, just asking if i could get help with the coding is all
i just love how peeps always interpret everything i say in the most hostile way possible.

i was merely pointing out that you're not asking for a small thing. you can see the skinning dev forums to see how often such proposals lead to anything. that's all.
the best way for you is to learn how skins xml works to do what you want Wink
sorry, but it did kinda come off that way. but yeah thats what im asking
I love that you start off with how awesome the forum is and then get offended by the first comment.

Your best best is to post your mockups, if someone likes them they'll help as has happened with a few skins but there's no guarantees as the coding is a massive undertaking and it can turn into a bit of a clusterf*** some times when mockups go up to early and you get design by commitee.

You may be better by trying to mod an existing skin and see how you get on with it yourself, coding a good skin is definitely not easy but the xml to get started isn't to bad. People will always help if you ask for how to do certain things in the skins.
@ Spiff
I do enjoy your comments. Sometimes you come off as a jerk and its funny because your status is Grumpy Bastard Developer. It makes me lol
Don't be too offended! It's very easy to take peoples comments the wrong way when the comment is short and sweet! Wink

Like craigd said, i would finish your mockups first (try and make them as complete as possible), then post them. Maybe a skinner will pick it up. That's what happened with Welo and his skin idea, and with Hitcher originally picking it up.

Good luck!
spiff Wrote:fyi you're basically asking 'if i do 5% of the work, will somebody else do the other 95%?'

Spiff is right though, many mockups get posted but unless it's earth shattering odds are randomly getting a skinner to pick it up is low. Even if earth shattering - Phyek's concepts, Noir - still didn't get picked up.

Only one - Xperience - comes to mind that started as a mockup asking for help to actually finish...All the sexy Library views take seconds to code as they're fun. It's the boring add sources/playlists/scanning,etc.. that require the most time...

But you never know....
Its not just about coding it either the graphic work is quit large as well and simply having a mock-up just doesn't cut it, the images all need to be broken down into the separate components so they can be layered on the skin. And you need to take into account all the windows and dialogs not just the home,Movies and tv show sections most mockups do

And contra to what spiff says for a real nice looking skin I'd say graphics/design is about 40% code is 60%
Thanks guys I will give a try with an existing skin.
And I'm willing to bet that a lot of people making mockups don't even know of, or have even seen, a lot of the dialogs.
I agree also with what most are saying.

Coding, is 95% the work... and very hard work indeed.

You have to consider, if your mock-ups are 'mind blowing good', the second you post them without any know-how or intention to code it yourself, you're potentially disappointing 90% of people who view the skin development forum.

Purely because anyone that visits the skin development forum frequently, would know that the amount of mock-ups and ideas that float around here that never ever come to see the light of day is a little heart breaking... But it just goes to show the lack of actual ''skinners/coders'' there are out there... So the chances of snagging someone to code it for you a close to none. They'd have to be some good mock-ups (eg: Welo) something a little different, something a little new.

HAVING SAID THAT...
i stand to be corrected.

I wish you luck.
well you always get this rare times like with "Basic".
when some sucker like me the a look at the mock-ups and decided to go for it.
I've learned coding just for this skin (still learning).
maybe you'll get lucky and someone think it's too good to let it die and help you.
Pages: 1 2