Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Manually Add "Special" episodes to TV Show library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hello all,

I've been using XBMC for about a week now and so far I am in love! I've gotten the TV Show database to work for almost all of my regular TV shows, but i have a weird problem:

I have some non-episode "specials" videos that I want to include with my TV show listings. Some of these specials show up on tvdb, some don't. What I'm trying to do is manually add these shows into that TV show's episode guide. I don't care if I have to fool XBMC into thinking it's another episode in a season, or making an additional season (s00e01?), etc.

I don't really care if all of the data is filled out in the description, as long as I can edit SOME of it.

The only way I've been able to do this halfway is manually add it into the movies database, then link the "movie" to the TV show through the context menu. BUT, this means that those non-movie videos are also showing up in the movies.

Basically, all i'm trying to do is MANUALLY add one episode of a TV show in with the rest of that TV show's episodes, and edit its details. How can I do that?

PS: I've searched about this and a lot of people say to just enter it into TVDB, but these videos aren't the type of content that should be added in with tvdb - they're completely random videos.

I tried to make an NFO file, but I don't think I did it right because I loaded that file into the video folder and nothing happened.

Thanks in advance!!
Have you tried cleaning the database and then adding in the new content with your custom nfo data? If you name it S00E01 or similar then it should be picked up.
here is what one my of nfo files had in it. This didn't register with the library when I tried to update.:

<episodedetails>
<title>Making of The Pacific</title>
<rating>7</rating>
<season>1</season>
<episode>11</episode>
<plot>Making of The Pacific</plot>
</episodedetails>

Do you see any problems?

Is there a good tutorial on how to create NFO files and insert art with it?
Sean_5 Wrote:here is what one my of nfo files had in it. This didn't register with the library when I tried to update.:

<episodedetails>
<title>Making of The Pacific</title>
<rating>7</rating>
<season>1</season>
<episode>11</episode>
<plot>Making of The Pacific</plot>
</episodedetails>

Do you see any problems?

Is there a good tutorial on how to create NFO files and insert art with it?

First glance everything seems ok in your nfo, but would need to see your debug log for why it wasn't used. More importantly why are you trying to manually create a nfo for that - the content exists in thetvdb - just name it S00E01 and it will pick it up - http://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=season&serie...1921&lid=7

For other specials you have too, I would recommend adding the content to thetvdb - its open to anyone. Its quicker to add content there than to create your own nfo's and everyone benefits that way.
i have a question somewhat related to it ...

Let's have a look at

http://thetvdb.com/index.php?tab=episode...&id=419898

It's the movie "Dead Like Me - Life After Death" and it's correctly listed under specials and also shows up in my TV shows as special episode 1.
Now - as it is a movie - i'd also like it to show up under "Movies".
I tag all my videos with Ember Media Manager having .nfo files for all videos.
What will happen if i manually edit the nfo and add the entries needed for movies ?
Content of the directory ist set to "TV shows" but the nfo files will be read first before scraping.
Where will "Dead Like Me - Life After Death" appear now ?

- in TV shows
- in Movies
- in TV shows & Movies

or

- in TV shows or Movies depending on what information is first in nfo
an entity can't be both a movie and an episode, no way. what you can do is add it as a movie, then use the link movie to tvshow functionality.
Sean_5 Wrote:OS: Windows, XBMC: 9.11 Confluence

Hello all,

I've been using XBMC for about a week now and so far I am in love! I've gotten the TV Show database to work for almost all of my regular TV shows, but i have a weird problem:

I have some non-episode "specials" videos that I want to include with my TV show listings. Some of these specials show up on tvdb, some don't. What I'm trying to do is manually add these shows into that TV show's episode guide. I don't care if I have to fool XBMC into thinking it's another episode in a season, or making an additional season (s00e01?), etc.

I don't really care if all of the data is filled out in the description, as long as I can edit SOME of it.

The only way I've been able to do this halfway is manually add it into the movies database, then link the "movie" to the TV show through the context menu. BUT, this means that those non-movie videos are also showing up in the movies.

Basically, all i'm trying to do is MANUALLY add one episode of a TV show in with the rest of that TV show's episodes, and edit its details. How can I do that?

PS: I've searched about this and a lot of people say to just enter it into TVDB, but these videos aren't the type of content that should be added in with tvdb - they're completely random videos.

I tried to make an NFO file, but I don't think I did it right because I loaded that file into the video folder and nothing happened.

Thanks in advance!!
Why not add the missing episodes at TVDB, then re-scrape? That way everyone else get's the benefit too, whereas they wouldn't if you added the info locally.

Edit: Just seen your comment about the content not really being suitable for TVDB. Still, if you check a lot of the specials on TVDB you'll see all sorts of random videos.
TheStretchedElf Wrote:Why not add the missing episodes at TVDB, then re-scrape? That way everyone else get's the benefit too, whereas they wouldn't if you added the info locally.

Edit: Just seen your comment about the content not really being suitable for TVDB. Still, if you check a lot of the specials on TVDB you'll see all sorts of random videos.

Just chiming in here about adding stuff to TVDB. I find it utterly frustrating. For a supposedly "open" database, so much of it is locked that you can't update. They won't unlock anything for any reason it seems, and some of the moderators are unprofessional and downright rude. Something is wrong when you visit their forums for series discussion and the first sticky post's title starts out "ATTENTION BASTARDS:"

I wish there was an alternative with the same functionality. All I try to do is make the database more complete by adding/correcting guest casts in shows I like, but it's nearly impossible to do. I can definitely understand not wanting to add something that is "not really suitable", as the mods will be all over you.
dt2510 Wrote:i have a question somewhat related to it ...

Let's have a look at

http://thetvdb.com/index.php?tab=episode...&id=419898

It's the movie "Dead Like Me - Life After Death" and it's correctly listed under specials and also shows up in my TV shows as special episode 1.
Now - as it is a movie - i'd also like it to show up under "Movies".
I tag all my videos with Ember Media Manager having .nfo files for all videos.
What will happen if i manually edit the nfo and add the entries needed for movies ?
Content of the directory ist set to "TV shows" but the nfo files will be read first before scraping.
Where will "Dead Like Me - Life After Death" appear now ?

- in TV shows
- in Movies
- in TV shows & Movies

or

- in TV shows or Movies depending on what information is first in nfo

The easiest way to do this would be to have your file in two locations. One that contains your Movies and one that Contains your TV Shows. Then you configure two sources; Your TV source uses TVDB as the scraper and your Movies uses MoviesDB Scraper.

The other way would be to create a separate location and label it something like Movies/TV and link that source through both TV Shows and Movies. It will show up under each one utilizing there respective scrapers.

Hope this helps!
erock3742 Wrote:The easiest way to do this would be to have your file in two locations. One that contains your Movies and one that Contains your TV Shows. Then you configure two sources; Your TV source uses TVDB as the scraper and your Movies uses MoviesDB Scraper.

The other way would be to create a separate location and label it something like Movies/TV and link that source through both TV Shows and Movies. It will show up under each one utilizing there respective scrapers.

Hope this helps!

Having done a ton of scraping/ work with 1000+ movies/ 12,000 tv shows etc, I really like the first suggestion.

You're not really going to have too many videos that fit under the category of both - so it makes sense to have it as an exception.

Or what about just adding it as a movie - and then linking it to the TV show, and skipping it as an episode?

(For the second suggestion - an interesting one, but I'd think you'd get all sorts of random shows popping up. <shudder>)
(2011-01-26, 16:50)relayer35 Wrote: [ -> ]
TheStretchedElf Wrote:Why not add the missing episodes at TVDB, then re-scrape? That way everyone else get's the benefit too, whereas they wouldn't if you added the info locally.

Just chiming in here about adding stuff to TVDB. I find it utterly frustrating. For a supposedly "open" database, so much of it is locked that you can't update. They won't unlock anything for any reason it seems, and some of the moderators are unprofessional and downright rude. Something is wrong when you visit their forums for series discussion and the first sticky post's title starts out "ATTENTION BASTARDS:"

I wish there was an alternative with the same functionality. All I try to do is make the database more complete by adding/correcting guest casts in shows I like, but it's nearly impossible to do. I can definitely understand not wanting to add something that is "not really suitable", as the mods will be all over you.

Totally agree. The really quiet rude and unhelpful.