Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dropped frames on Dharma
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've noticed that some of my movies are stuttering and dropping frames. One I use to benchmark in particular, which used to play now doesn't, and I'm wondering if it's to do with upgrading to Dharma (I *think* I last tried it on Camelot).

http://pastebin.com/E6USrKQQ

There's the xbmc.log when starting it up and playing it. I noticed there's a lot of:

22:28:54 T:2963951616 M:735518720 WARNING: Decode - avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 31452, consumed: 0

The mac is an old Mac Mini upgraded with a 2.16ghz c2d with 2gb of ram, running Dharma4 on 10.6.4.

I've just tried it on my unibody MBP. That plays it fine with VDA turned on, but drops frames with it turned off.

I'm sure both used to be able to play it ok....

Thanks!

Justin
Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but it *seems* to play ok in Plex. But I've a feeling the video quality isn't as good.

I'm happy to dial down a setting if this movie just is too much for my hardware, just don't know how to go about that.
Did some digging around and have tried this:

<skiploopfilter>8</skiploopfilter>

It's now much better, though occasionally still stutters. Odd that I didn't used to have to have any special settings for it to play though.

Tried values up to 48 and still getting some dropped frames/stutter. So gone back to 8 again.
Not to highjack the thread or anything, but i have the same problems.

got a imac 27" i5 quad core, connected to the TV, and am i experience shutter/skipped frames on most of my stuff. Cpu usage is only like 10% so there is something weird going on.

Same movies worked perfect in boxee/plex.

Tried with vertical sync enabled/disabled, synch refresh rate to display, etc etc, nothing seems to work

on 10.6.5
the problem appears to be the 10.6.4 and 10.6.5 VDA implementation.

If you really want to be stutter free, 10.6.3 is a must for now unfortunatly
you sure, cause im not having the same problems on boxee/plex.

10.6.3 is not a option for me
I'm not using VDA anyway, so that doesn't explain my problem. I have no hardware acceleration, and Plex/Camelot don't/didn't have problems.

I'm wondering if Dharma jus has a higher quality output, that my older hardware just can't cope with now...
Well i turned off vda now, i didnt notice much increase in cpu power.

Which is kinda okey i guess, since i got a quad core, cpu is still hovering around 80% idle. Just tested office 720p, seems to work great now after turning hardware acc off.

Have to try with a movie tomorrow though, to see if the skipping of frames have gone away
I'm on 10.6.3 using Dharma RC1. The first video I viewed was just fine, but then every subsequent video was dropping frames like crazy.

I disabled VDA and now not a single dropped frame.
I'm having a similar problem to this which looks like a frame refresh or dropped frame line across the top 1/4 of the image. (files are .mkv and play fine in vlc)

Stupid question but how do I toggle vda on/off to see if it is that.

For info I'm running a new mac mini over hdmi

Thanks guys and sorry for the newbie question.
the mac mini 2010 does not appear have a 10.6.3 install disk so the only problem free version that has VDA support is 10.6.3. However the drivers for the mac mini 2010 appear to be missing om the 10.6.3 version.