Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot see remote codes (obc##) using <displayremotecodes>
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd appreciate so help with this as I'm a little stumped.

I'm trying to find some of the obc codes for a few buttons on my Harmony One remote so I can create a few custom buttons for xbmc but I'm having trouble getting it to work.

I'm referring to the following two guides. This and this.

They say to simply add
Code:
<displayremotecodes>true</displayremotecodes>
to the advancedsettings.xml file found in the userdata folder. I've done this but it doesn't seem to be working as I don't see any codes when pressing the remote buttons.

Here is my advancedsettings.xml file
Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <displayremotecodes>true</displayremotecodes>
    <gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -c :0 -tq GPUCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>
</advancedsettings>

I assume that when I'm in xbmc on the home page that if I press a button on the remote the code will be displayed on the screen. Is that correct or have I misunderstood how it works?
I'm not sure if displayremotecodes is a valid setting in non Xbox XBMC - I've never used it, but I've also never used the Xbox version.

Can you get to the console or ssh to the machine? If so, you can use the program irw to capture the remote codes. launch it by running 'irw' (no quotes) and then press keys on your remote. You should receive an acknowledgement on the command line when a button is pressed if it is recognized by lirc
I am pretty sure its an XBOX thing only.
Ah, I didn't realise it was an xbox only setting. I've used irw and that works fine but the codes it gives are long hexidecimal codes which basically match those shown in the lircd.conf file as expected.

How do I get the obc## code? One post I read says that one can use any number for ## as long as it's not a code used by the xbox dvd remote. Is it that simple? Isn't it possible that some of the other codes not listed may already be used by the remote for other buttons? Just to be clear I'm using a Harmony One set up as mceusb (Microsoft remote) and not a xbox DVD remote.
FishOil Wrote:I am pretty sure its an XBOX thing only.

No it is not. It worked for me without problems till ubuntu maverick where now the device input layer is used isntead of the old imon driver. now i get unusable message.
a_user Wrote:No it is not. It worked for me without problems till ubuntu maverick where now the device input layer is used isntead of the old imon driver. now i get unusable message.

Every reference I have seen says "XBOX ONLY"

You can even go look at Gitourious xbmc and see the reference when it was removed.

Quote:removed: xbox leftover displayremotecodes code and references
FishOil Wrote:Every reference I have seen says "XBOX ONLY"

You can even go look at Gitourious xbmc and see the reference when it was removed.

if you want i can look if i have some older xbmc logs that show the codes in the log.

believe me i SAW them in my logs with this option untill i switched to ubutnu 10.10 which introduced kernel 2.6.35 and subsitutes the old imon driver by the input device layer.

no matter what docs say.... i definatly HAD them printed in my logs on my HTPC! that's a fact.

edit: note: in some earlier configurations of my remote i even used this codes to customize my remote. but i changed that later.
a_user Wrote:no matter what docs say.... i definatly HAD them printed in my logs on my HTPC! that's a fact.

The only FACT is what you THINK you saw is the remote codes that the Xbox would have displayed.
FishOil Wrote:Every reference I have seen says "XBOX ONLY"

FishOil Wrote:The only FACT is what you THINK you saw is the remote codes that the Xbox would have displayed.

*sigh* that's why my remote worked with them.... on my htpc not xbox!

it is a useless discussion. you think you know better what worked for me at home only because you read about it elsewhere. that is absurd.

yes i know it says xbox only. and i also now that there are many post just telling they didn't got anything displayed. but it still worked for me using a pvr-testing2 build some time ago. i configured my remote with that.

that is an undeniable fact: IT WORKED! believe it or not. i don't know why but it worked.
a_user Wrote:*sigh* .....that is an undeniable fact:

lol
FishOil Wrote:lol

i really don't get this ignorance. i had my remote working with this for nearly a half a year before i switched to ubuntu 10.10, which uses now kernel 2.6.35, hence due to the new input layer it does not work anymore (that way).

but i must have been dreamed seeing the odc codes, using them, configuring my xbmc and using it for nealry 6 months. yeah, you proved me dreaming with the infos you read on the net.

ok, you won. i give up. i made my statement. not my bussiness.
a_user Wrote:i really don't get this ignorance. i had my remote working with this for nearly a half a year before i switched to ubuntu 10.10, which uses now kernel 2.6.35, hence due to the new input layer it does not work anymore (that way).

but i must have been dreamed seeing the odc codes, using them, configuring my xbmc and using it for nealry 6 months. yeah, you proved me dreaming with the infos you read on the net.

ok, you won. i give up. i made my statement. not my bussiness.

Well, You came in here spouting off information that would seem incorrect. Myself and many many many others have tried that setting and it hasn't worked. We asked questions only to be told it was an XBOX function only. REAL WORLD tests (actually trying it by many people) proved fruitless and the documentation also supports this conclusion. MANY MANY MANY people could be wrong and you could be right but it doesn't look good.

I will gladly admit I am wrong if someone would care to shed some light to support your "undeniable" opinion.

Here is an XBMC developer saying Read the wiki again. It is XBOX only

Here is a copy of the wiki saying the same thing. Its actually xbmc4xbox but you get the message. Its not in XBMC.

Yet another one

And another 200 posts on and on and on......................
How does/did Display Remote Codes actually work, though? Could it not have in fact worked on Linux, despite not being supposed to, just by virtue of what it was actually doing?

Regardless I think everyone agrees it doesn't work NOW, so the question should really just be what to do instead.

Does /var/tmp/<username>-xbmc.log spit out anything useful? I don't have a remote myself of that sort (I just use a keyboard, BlueMaemo on my N900 or the official XBMC remote app on my cheap Android phone) so I'm unsure, but that was recommended in this thread.
i have no explanation why it worked for me. because of the fact it did i never observed it didn't for others. i don't know if it is due to using the linux pvrt-testing version or what so ever.

the funny thing is i got myself the hint to use this option from another xbmc thread regarding the linux version. i don't remember if it was here on xbmc.org or on the german vdr forum.

a simple question: what is my purporse to lie? when i answered here i didn't knew that my setup was such a rare case and how it seems now not supposed to work. maybe it was due to some old code remained in the pvr-testing branch.