Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Automatically scrape metadata for TV Shows based on the file names?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello
The only thing that has kept me from switching to Linux entirely is a plugin called myTV for Windows Media Center. (http://mytv.senseitweb.com)

I have all of my shows organized into different folders named after the show. Based on the name of each file (sxxexx), it knows what episode each file is and automatically scrapes metadata from http://www.thetvdb.com. While this currently works for date format and sxxexx format, it doesn't work for absolute number format (common for Japanese shows).

It also remembers what I have already watched, and allows me to select an episode at random for each show (not purely random, as this tends to be faulty)

Anyway, I hate Windows with a bloody passion, and if there was something based off Linux that replaces this plugin, I'll drop Windows like a bad habit. If such a thing exists already, please let me know!

Thanks!
jbsoum Wrote:Hello
The only thing that has kept me from switching to Linux entirely is a plugin called myTV for Windows Media Center. (http://mytv.senseitweb.com)

I have all of my shows organized into different folders named after the show. Based on the name of each file (sxxexx), it knows what episode each file is and automatically scrapes metadata from http://www.thetvdb.com. While this currently works for date format and sxxexx format, it doesn't work for absolute number format (common for Japanese shows).

It also remembers what I have already watched, and allows me to select an episode at random for each show (not purely random, as this tends to be faulty)

Anyway, I hate Windows with a bloody passion, and if there was something based off Linux that replaces this plugin, I'll drop Windows like a bad habit. If such a thing exists already, please let me know!

Thanks!

DuhHuh, XBMC Does All This and more
Except the ability to select a show at random. Unless there's a plugin for that, I'm not aware of XBMC doing that.
So, should I post the random video thingy in feature requests? And, ok, if XBMC does do all of these things, can someone point me in the right direction as to how to make it happen?
jbsoum Wrote:So, should I post the random video thingy in feature requests? And, ok, if XBMC does do all of these things, can someone point me in the right direction as to how to make it happen?

It Happens Right Here
Ah yes, well, I have it installed, but I'm incredibly confused as to how to get XBMC to do what I want.

I want to be able to get it to recognize all of my tv shows, stored in video files, and scrape all of the relevant metadata. I want it to be able to scrape data based on either sxxexx or absolute #, depending on the show. I want it to remember what I've already watched. And I'd like to be able to select a random show from my collection at will.

Phew. Ok, I have it installed, and I have no idea where to start. I've looked through the wiki and the forums, and I'm incredibly confused.
Also be sure to set "Absolute Ordering" under The TVDB scraper settings.

Yes, I've seen that page. So, can I set different settings for different shows?

I guess I would have to put them in separate folders depending on whether or not they are ordered absolutely or by season & episode #?

I tried the scraping and when I open up my folders, I just see the filenames. So I must not be doing something right.

Also, I've seen people with nice setups where each show is represented by banners, and TV shows are given a button in the XBMC main menu. I'm guessing this requires a plugin? Which one?

How about switching b/w subtitle and audio streams? Another plugin?
Hi jbsoum,

You don't require plugins for most of what you are trying to do, except maybe the "random episode" thing. And once you see what XBMC can do, don't be suprised if you forget about that Smile

You will see a lot of XBMC setups looking very different. This is mostly due to people using different skins, not plugins.

I'd suggest getting your library built and working they would you would like before worrying about appearance.

So, with that said...

I am assuming here that your library is structured like this :

- TV
---- TV Show
------- Season
----------- Episode

---- Another TV Show
------- Season
----------- Episode

From XBMC Main Menu , go to Videos
Browse to and highlight your TV folder
Bring up the context menu ©
Go to Set Content
Set the content as TvShow using the TVDB scraper. Highlight the absolute ordering option, and set any other options you would like.
Highlight "Run automated Scan" and click ok
Go to your main menu once the scan is finished

You should now have TV Shows on your main menu.
If you don't, you may have to go to Settings > Skin from the main menu.
In here you should find somewhere that you can Show/Hide the main menu items. Make sure TV Shows isn't hidden.

I'm not in front of my XBMC, and I'm by no means an expert, but that should get you started. Once your TV shows are displaying correctly you can move on to different skins and customising them to make XBMC look awesome!

Best of luck,
SlickRed
jbsoum Wrote:Yes, I've seen that page. So, can I set different settings for different shows?

I guess I would have to put them in separate folders depending on whether or not they are ordered absolutely or by season & episode #?

I tried the scraping and when I open up my folders, I just see the filenames. So I must not be doing something right.

Also, I've seen people with nice setups where each show is represented by banners, and TV shows are given a button in the XBMC main menu. I'm guessing this requires a plugin? Which one?

How about switching b/w subtitle and audio streams? Another plugin?

The step that you're missing is going into Settings->Video->Library->Export Video Library->Export to single files

You also have the option to use an external metadata scraper such as Ember Media Manager or Media Companion or search the forums for all kinds of others in the Supplemental Tools section
Ok, I'm lost. I managed to get to the point where XBMC scraped my shows. Some shows are sxxexx labeled, and some are absolute # labeled. I tried initially telling XBMC to add them all using absolute numbering. No dice, all that was added was the shows numbered by season. Then I tried splitting these two different types of shows into two folders, and tried adding both folders as tv shows. also no dice. Now I'm trying to start from scratch and I'm having trouble getting there. I must be doing something incredibly wrong here....