Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Annoying dimming/flickering during playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I searched for my problem but I didn't find an answer.
I'm on Mac os X 10.6 with latest xbmc build.
I noticed since a couple of weeks a strange dimming/flickering effect during playback. I don't know if those are the right words to describe my problem: when watching a movie or a series, sometimes the screen repeatedly flashes darker than the regular brightness of the tv. It is very much alike the dimming effect due to inactivity in the xbmc menu, only much faster.
I updated xbmc to the latest version, but it didn't help.
I also noticed a strange thing while exporting the library: as each tv series was exported, the brightness would change.

Anyone has an idea? Thanks!
It may be worth checking your TV to see if you've turned on any Picture Enhancement features on the TV itself. My Toshiba, for instance has a "Dynamic Contrast" feature that claims to "automatically adjust brightness required by the signal". You may find that these helpful features cause more pain than help...
Thanks a lot for the tip!
I thought I looked everywhere in the tv menus, but thanks to you, I discovered a hidden mode on my 2007 samsung tv, where there's an automatic dimming and automatic contrast. I'll have to test it for a few days, but it seems like this is it!
Well, unfortunately, the problem is still here after I deactivated dynamic dimming and dynamic contrast.
I never had this issue other than with xbmc. Could it be related to the video decode engine? Maybe the hardware acceleration?
I've just read someone else had the same problem: pjclark1 @ http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=787073
Quote:OK, so I've been trying XBMC for a few weeks.
As a front end it's great.
As a video player it's really poor
At various times I can see,
picture instability at top of movie screen
black 'blinks' across the whole of the screen

It's not that bad anymore, so I can live with it, but it's still annoying.
Anyone else has this problem?