Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: External Harddrive as Video Source?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi,
i got an asrock 330 ion ht, on which i installed ubuntu 10.04 and the latest version of xbmc.
got vdpau support, sound over hdmi and the remote controll to work.
now i want to add my external hardrive (connected via usb) as video source.
but i don't get how to do it.
when xbmc is running and i connect the harddrive, xbmc recognises the hdd just fine. i can even see it when opening up the music options.
however i can not find the device when adding video sources.
i can only choose files from my home directory on the internal harddrive of the 330 ion ht.

ps: im german, so please just look the other way when you notice any gramma mistakes Rolleyes
Did you set the content in the video section?
i'm not really sure if i understand what you mean.
isn't setting the content adding scrappers for a video source?
i'm able add a movie from my internal harddrive to the videosection and then set the content for this movie by pressing "c".
that process works without any problems.
but when i click on "video" and then on "add source", i'm not able to find the external harddrive. i can only choose between my home directory (internal hdd) and some options like upnp-server etc.
Damnatus Wrote:hi,
i got an asrock 330 ion ht, on which i installed ubuntu 10.04 and the latest version of xbmc.
got vdpau support, sound over hdmi and the remote controll to work.
now i want to add my external hardrive (connected via usb) as video source.
but i don't get how to do it.
when xbmc is running and i connect the harddrive, xbmc recognises the hdd just fine. i can even see it when opening up the music options.
however i can not find the device when adding video sources.
i can only choose files from my home directory on the internal harddrive of the 330 ion ht.

ps: im german, so please just look the other way when you notice any gramma mistakes Rolleyes

you should be able to see root directory "/" when adding sources, under root find "media" folder and your USB external drive should be mounted there
On my Free Agent USB drive I had to create a folder. XBMC would not allow me to add the drive root as a source. Mythbuntu also treats an external drive the same as a removable disk or DVD and usually auto mounts it.
thx, for the help guys.
figured it out. xbmc actually DOES automount my external drive.
the problem was, that my external hdd (storage unit) consists of four 2tb hdd, adding up to a total of 8tb disc-space.
my movies are stored on the second hdd.
when setting up the whole storage combo i meant to format all 4 drives in ext4. and it seems like i accidentally set the first drive in line on ext2. i also failed to grant the necessary rights. (disc was only available for root) Oo

formated the first hdd too and now everything works just fine Big Grin

ps: just out of curiosity i tried to add the hdd manually /media/... works .... once you set the necessary rights Wink