Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Live Wireless Setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got RC1 loaded on a REVO, but have to setup wireless WPA. I have a couple of guides on how to do it. However, one of the first steps is to run:

lshw -C network

to find out what hardware you are running. I get "no command found". Anybody know what package to install to get this command working?

Thanks!
HawaiiMike Wrote:I've got RC1 loaded on a REVO, but have to setup wireless WPA. I have a couple of guides on how to do it. However, one of the first steps is to run:

lshw -C network

to find out what hardware you are running. I get "no command found". Anybody know what package to install to get this command working?

Thanks!

If you havent installed lshw yet, do so with:

sudo apt-get install lshw

Then you should be able to run lshw
Smile
Thanks for the tip,

But when I try to do that I get "package not found."

sudo apt-get install lshw

Is it a different package name or repo problem perhaps.
Did you first?

Code:
sudo apt-get update
Thanks!

That did the trick! Was able to install the package after the update and it's working fine now.

I know Live has an ubuntu OS base, how are regular updates handled? I'm used to Ubuntu desktop where you get popups. Do we need to run a CLI command to update or just leave it alone?
HawaiiMike Wrote:Thanks!

That did the trick! Was able to install the package after the update and it's working fine now.

I know Live has an ubuntu OS base, how are regular updates handled? I'm used to Ubuntu desktop where you get popups. Do we need to run a CLI command to update or just leave it alone?

Since its live the only update you would need is

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Thats only if there is an update to xbmc.

You are playing with fire if you try to update the OS. Do so at your own risk.

I am of the opinion if XBMC does what its supposed to do then dont mess with it. The exception is an update to XBMC as described above.
I currently have XBMCLive installed on my acer machine and would like to setup wifi on it so I don't have to run cat6 to that room. I do not have a built on wireless card so I am trying to use a netgear wireless N USB stick. No in all of the forums people refer to entering commands, similar to a standard Linux install, which I am comfortable with. However, I don know where to go in XBMCLive to find the command prompt to enter these commands. Is it even possible the use a wireless USB card? and if so where is the command prompt?

Thank you in advance,

Chris
I'm not much of an expert but to get to the command prompt you hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 .... you can also go to F2 though F6 for other terminal windows. To get back to XBMC you hit Ctrl+Alt+F7.
Thank you, I'll try it out today.

--Chris
Actually I ought to ask another question. I'm still having problems setting up wireless WPA protection. Anyone have any recent links for setup guides? I was using this one from Ubuntu forums but ran into problems:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=571188

I've got an RA type wireless card on the REVO and when I get to the command:

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

I get the following error message:

SIOCSiFFLAGS: Operation not permitted
Give WICD ago!!!!

I've done it a few times for fresh installs and its worked great all the time!!
HawaiiMike Wrote:Actually I ought to ask another question. I'm still having problems setting up wireless WPA protection. Anyone have any recent links for setup guides? I was using this one from Ubuntu forums but ran into problems:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=571188

I've got an RA type wireless card on the REVO and when I get to the command:

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

I get the following error message:

SIOCSiFFLAGS: Operation not permitted

XBMC Live Wireless Setup

From the XBMCfreak site with some minor modifications.

A few things will be assumed.

1. If you had to compile your adapters driver you did it correctly.
2. You properly inserted the module after you compiled the driver.
3. You did not create and use a wpa_supplicant.conf (not needed)
4. You are using WPA2-PSK [AES] encryption.

Setting up Wifi using XBMC Live

Code:
sudo apt-get install wireless-tools wpasupplicant

The packages installed will allow us to configure wifi and encrypt the password. My network is configured with WPA2-PSK [AES] but the configuration procedure for others kind of networks should be quite the same. After we?ve installed the packages we should be able to encrypt passphares with the following command:

Code:
wpa_passphrase your_essid your_ascii_key

Your_essid should be replaced by the name of the network.
Your_ascii_key should be replaced with the password.
This is just an example:
Code:
wpa_passphrase 'Wireless Home' password100

The result should be:

Code:
network={
ssid="Wireless Home"
#psk="12345678"
psk=fe727aa8b64ac9b3f54c72432da14faed933ea511ecab15bbc6c52e7522f709a
}

Now we have the network and key encrypted we can start adding this information to the interfaces configuration file:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

Comment out the wired network interface with a # in front of the relevant portion
Code:
# The primary network interface
# auto eth0
# iface eth0 inet dhcp

Add the following lines of code, the wpa-psk line should match the result from wpa_passphrase:

Code:
auto ra0
iface ra0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid Wireless Home
wpa-driver wext
wpa-ap-scan 1
wpa-proto RSN
wpa-pairwise CCMP
wpa-group CCMP
wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
wpa-psk fe727aa8b64ac9b3f54c72432da14faed933ea511ecab15bbc6c52e7522f709a

Now we should restart the networking services:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

By typing ifconfig we can validate that we?re connected to the network.
In this tutorial I?m using WPA2-PSK [AES] encryption.

Code:
ifconfig

By typing iwconfig you can see the details of the wileless adapter

Code:
iwconfig
Thanks both Zokstar and FISHOIL for responding, really appreciate the great support with the XBMC forums. I've tried both methods and haven't had success quite yet.

Zokstar: I was able to install the wicd package and get an okay when I run.

sudo service wicd start

I get an okay for that. But when I enter

sudo wicd

I just get a return to the command prompt no interface screen. Substituting the wicd-curses doesn't work and I figure the package got updated to wicd for the ubuntu base live is using.

FISHOIL:

For you setup questions it's the RC1 live build and I didn't compile or install any custom drivers, these are out of the box.

I disabled both the eth0 and loopback lines in /etc/networking/interfaces file.

I added on the interfaces file with your code sample with the exception of substituting wlan0 for ra0 (since lshw -C networking has wlan0 assigned to the RT3090 wireless card on the REVO).

When I enter the following:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

I get the error message SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted in the start. Also I get another error message stating wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start with return error code 1.

Sorry I can't past the exact error since it's on console windows.

Its not the end of the world, I can always attach one of those wireless mini AP's to the REVO, it just bugs me when I can't get basic stuff figured out. Smile
HawaiiMike Wrote:RT3090 wireless card on the REVO

dude...........you're screwed unless you want to put in the effort. That rt3090 has kernel issues at the moment.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1600498

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...mments=all
Ah! At least I know it isn't some dumb thing I"m doing then! I've got a DLINK 1350 I can use to connect with at least.