Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video configuration help please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.
I am a rookie user, but have been enjoying XBMC for ~1 yr now. it is awesome. I don't quite understand now to configure my video card, TV aspect ratio to ensure I get video the play at the correct aspect ratio.

Video card: Radeon HD 5750
TV: Samsung 46" LCD 1600x1200 at 60ms
PC: windows 7; connected via HDMI cable to the monitor

I have the video card set to show the windows desktop at 1600x1200...this is detected through the HDMI cable and I think that is correct. However, the TV has a 4:3 setting and a 16:9 setting. When you look at the desktop in the 4:3 mode, there are the two black vertical bars on either side that are black. When changed to 16:9, these bars go away. I guess it stretches the 4:3 to 16:9 and the entire LCD screen is then filled with my computer desktop.

I then load XBMC in full screen mode (alt+enter) and video plays without a skip. When the TV is set to 4:3, the normal (not HD video) fills the screen with the above vertical black bars present and then when I change the TV to 16:9, it stretches the video and the bars are gone. When I play HD video in the 4:3 setting, the video fills the length of the screen (still vertical black bars on sides) and has the appropriate horizontal black bars on the top and bottom....and again when I switch it to 16:9, it simply stretches the video.

What I want is to have the non-HD video to play as it is when watching under 4:3 on the TV, but have the HD fill up the entire screen. Please help. thanks in advance
You'll want to use a widescreen (16:9) resolution for your TV, if your computer supports it. 1600x1200 is a 4:3 resolution hence the black bars on your screen. Link: Wikipedia

See if you have one of the following resolutions and try it on your TV:
1920x1080
1600x900
1366x768
1280x720

Try that out first and see if it fixes your display problems. Check back here if you need some more help. Smile

~NightStormWolf