Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48
I have another good reason for this... audiophiles.

For instance, I am looking into purchasing an Asynchronous outboard USB DAC for my 2-channel hifi music play back but would still like to use HDMI for my surround sound (Dolby/DTS/HD formats). Thus for me, either switching between one audio output device for music or another one for video would do the job.

Outputting over both simultaneously would do the job just as well.
Keep the use cases coming in. Maybe if we have enough different ways to use it, they may see the value in the dual out (:
I would benefit from the dual audio outs. My Reciever will not play digital audio(currently optical) on my secondary(back porch) speakers. Being able to have a secondary audio line feeding a special input strictly for my auxiliary speakers would be great.
Like illusion8055, i need 2nd output for audiophile stereo. Have optical to AV amp for video soundtracks, would like also to route stereo music via USB to external DAC + stereo amplifier. Currently use modified Squeezebox and Squeezeserver for audiophile listening. Sounds significantly better than stereo from XBMC passed through AV amp.
WOOOOHOOOOOO. AE will not be in eden. Meaning that this patch should still be usable, it just needs updating.

I MAY take a look at it (I previously gave up because it felt futile)v
Where did you see this info scout?

While I won't celebrate the fact that AE will not be in Eden (uncountable hours of work put in by the coders! Thanks guys/girls) I am excited at the possibility of having the patch still functional. darkscout thanks for giving a little hope. When it comes to it, I have a win 7 64 bit to test it out on if needed. Cheers!
mrdally204 Wrote:Where did you see this info scout?

While I won't celebrate the fact that AE will not be in Eden (uncountable hours of work put in by the coders! Thanks guys/girls) I am excited at the possibility of having the patch still functional. darkscout thanks for giving a little hope. When it comes to it, I have a win 7 64 bit to test it out on if needed. Cheers!

It was posted on the main xbmc site as part of a weekly update.
I haven't read all 28pages of this thread (sorry, too long) so apologies if this has already been covered.
Is there an actual patch file available? I'd like to try and use this on the linux pvr version of xbmc.

This patch would be a very welcome addition to xbmc. With this i can switch between tv and receiver speakers.

Thanks.
bryanchicken,
read the first post, has the source of the patch
Thanks. Yeah, i know there is source, but it contains many files, any of which may have been subsequently changed in git. So copying the ones from the rar will overwrite those changes.
If there was an actual patch file the changes could be applied rather than copying over the whole file.
Or am i misunderstanding what is in those rars?
I was to the understanding that those are the files in which he modified to get it working correctly in the 10.1 version. I do not program myself so I'm not exactly sure either.

I do not think there is any working "patch" for a current nightly release, you would have to break down his source, and dive into the latest source from mainline.

EDIT:

If you want, make a diff. Go to the mainline and download the source from the 10.1 release and compare them to the files on page 1. should make you a file you are looking for no?
This doesn't exist.
mrdally204 Wrote:I was to the understanding that those are the files in which he modified to get it working correctly in the 10.1 version. I do not program myself so I'm not exactly sure either.

I do not think there is any working "patch" for a current nightly release, you would have to break down his source, and dive into the latest source from mainline.

EDIT:

If you want, make a diff. Go to the mainline and download the source from the 10.1 release and compare them to the files on page 1. should make you a file you are looking for no?

You may not program yourself but you've nailed it on the head there. I'd already had that idea, but before i spent the effort doing it i thought i'd ask if there was a patch to save myself the effort Big Grin
I've used svn for making patch files before and its dead easy. I've never used git though, can't be that different i guess.
It seems that some users (me included) simply want to switch between audio outputs depending on media type, i.e. output 1 to AV amp for 5.1 movies etc, and output 2 to USB DAC etc for audiophile stereo. No need for dual audio processing or simultaneous outputs etc.

Should this not be relatively simple to implement compared to a full dual-output solution? A setup page to define output 1 and output 2 preferences, then a hot key to fast-switch between them? Or to get smart, link preferred outputs devices to media type. Could also sit on top of AE? Or am I over-simplifying?

i know it doesn't address the needs of all users, but switched multiple outputs has to be a step in the right direction?
parrydave,
you are over complicating it. The patch in this forum outputs to both 5.1 and 2 chan at the same time! No button to switch required. Thats the beauty of it. Plug it in and go!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48