Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to access my shares from my xbmc-live machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

Ive just installed xbmc live (my first live installation) on an old laptop which I tought would be a ok xbmc-computer to play my childrens movies. The laptop is a Hp pavillion dv8000.

After the xbmc-install I followed this guide to configure the wireless network:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81858. Great guide bye the way, for a linux-noob like meSmile

My question is, how do I access my shares on my Netgear ready nas duo, and on my asrock ion 330 (with win7).

Ive searched the forums, but couldnt find any updated info about it. Can someone please point me into the right direction?
You should be able to access them when adding a new video source. When adding, select browse, and then select "Windows network" to browse the computers on your network, or click "Add network location" to manually enter the details.
prae5 Wrote:You should be able to access them when adding a new video source. When adding, select browse, and then select "Windows network" to browse the computers on your network, or click "Add network location" to manually enter the details.

Thanks for quick replySmile

I tried that, but got an error (didnt remember what the error said). I havent done anything in the networksettings inside xbmc, is there anything to do? wins server adress or something?

Im not home right now, but Il come back with more details about the error. The version Im running is Dharma rc1.
i'll check on this for you when i get home to see what my spefics are. i worked this out a short while back and haven't set it back up since upgrading to dharma. i should be able to give you some more specific tips in a couple hours.
devin mac Wrote:i'll check on this for you when i get home to see what my spefics are. i worked this out a short while back and haven't set it back up since upgrading to dharma. i should be able to give you some more specific tips in a couple hours.

Smashing!NodNod
When I try to add source -> browse -> Windows network (smb), I get: Error 2: share not available.

When I try to enter the path, I get the message: Unable to connect - Could not retrive directory information. This could be due to network not being connected.

When I check the system info, it says:

Link: connected
Mac adress: 0:13:2:65:B5;D6
Ip adress: 192.168.1.4
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Primary dns: 192.168.1.1
secondary dns:
internet: connected

Any suggestions?

Edit: I dont know how to post a debug-log in xbmcLive (Complete linux-nOOB)
I have now been reading for hours on the forum about how to fix this, and Ive managed to find my shares thrue upnp. I can now play music from the nas and the livingroom-htpc, but when I try to play videos I get "some of the files couldnt play due to networkproblems, check the logfile".

But, I would like to access my shares thrue smb if thats possible. I red something about installing samba, is this necessary or am I missunderstanding something?

Allso, shouldnt I find the "xbmclive-computer" from the other computers? well I do notHuh

Im now about to give up this whole project and set it up with windows, I thought this should be piece of cakeSad
Am on my way out so don't have time to reply properly. Would need some more info from you about your setup.

However a quick easy fix especially if you aren't comfortable working with linux. Grab the latest openelec.tv build and install that. It will give you a fully working and configured xbmc appliance in less than 15 minutes.

http://snapshots.openelec.tv/OpenELEC-IO...25.tar.bz2

Installation and usb creation instructions at:
http://openelec.tv/index.php?option=com_...Itemid=305
prae5 Wrote:Am on my way out so don't have time to reply properly. Would need some more info from you about your setup.

However a quick easy fix especially if you aren't comfortable working with linux. Grab the latest openelec.tv build and install that. It will give you a fully working and configured xbmc appliance in less than 15 minutes.

http://snapshots.openelec.tv/OpenELEC-IO...25.tar.bz2

Installation and usb creation instructions at:
http://openelec.tv/index.php?option=com_...Itemid=305

Ok. Ive made the boot-stick and im about to install, but isnt this gonna delete everything on the harddrive, including my xbmc-setup who I just put alot of time and "hard work" on?
Yes, unless you install it to another usb stick / sd card.

Everything should work out of the box though and there should be no need to set anything up.
prae5 Wrote:Yes, unless you install it to another usb stick / sd card.

Everything should work out of the box though and there should be no need to set anything up.

Now ive installed it. The installation went ok, but when Im rebooting, openelec.tv never starts, just a black screen:confused2:

Are you sure you gave me the right download-link? This is not an ion machine, its an old HP laptop (HP dv8336ea, I think).
Sorry, I misread your initial post I thought you said you had a Asrock 330.

What gpu is in that machine?

This image should work I think:
http://snapshots.openelec.tv/OpenELEC-ge...25.tar.bz2

If not this one may work
http://snapshots.openelec.tv/OpenELEC-in...25.tar.bz2
Im not sure what gpu, but I think its NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600, 256mb.
Anyway, it looks like it worked now with "OpenELEC.tv - generic - 32bit".

Now I have another problemOo The screen on the laptop is broken, so I use a samsung lcd tv-screen connected thrue vga. To toggle between laptopscreen and tvscreen I use a simple remote who came with the laptop, but after I installed openelec, that function doesnt work. So now I have to figure out how to toggle screens with the keyboardSmile

Edit: Or maybe change the resolution? Is there a way to do this in blind? lol
Now I noticed an error in the startup, before xbmc starts and my tv turns black. It says something like: error drm\i915 cant work without intel agp module.

Do you know what thats all about?
Bye the way, I really appreciate your helping handSmileSmile

Edit: I have tested all the different versions of openelec.tv and the "generic" must be the one for the pavillion. I have tested different resolutions in the xbmc settings and still no picture on my tv. I think it must be something with the screen-toggle. I found a post at a hp forum where a guy said that it should be fn+f4 to toggle screens, but it just dont work. any ideas about this?

The positive thing with struggeling like hell is that I hope to learn something on my waySmile
I had a very similar problem with my XBMC-Live install (Asrock 330ION) the XBMC installer did not see my network adapter so I had to edit the interfaces. Once I rebooted I could connect to the Internet and install addons but still no SMB shares. I have a FreeNAS box with 2 TB of movies that I can connect to fine with my old X-Box, but the Asrock couldn't see the shares. I had typed in the workgroup name correctly and could ping the FreeNAS but still no go.

I eventually decided to put the workgroup name in all caps and it connected right up.