Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: video problems with XBMC 9.11 and Radeon HD 5570
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all! this is my first post on this forum so I hope it will be useful!

I recently installed XBMC 9.11 from sources on my brand new htpc running Slackware 64bit [Linux] and using a Radeon HD5570 video card.

I am using the ATI Catalyst 10.11 driver installed according to ATI's info. All went well.

XBMC runs well, but I am experiencing some video problems... First of all, the videos are playing choppy. I activated the FPS on-display feature and noticed the FPS is constantly fluctuating between 99 FPS and 285 FPS... This was while playing a HD video. VLC plays the video very well and reports the video format to be H264-MPEG 4 AVC (part 10) (avc1) at 1920x1080 and 23.976216 FPS.

Second problem is heavy color corruption. The whole movie will either play in magenta or cyan and colors will be rapidly switching between gray and magenta (purple) or cyan...

Third problem is some sharp horizontal splits in the picture.. Its difficult to explain but it seems that whenever the FPS gets too high, the image does not refresh fast enough to display the whole frame at the same time, the picture end up with a portion not refreshed and the other portion refreshed...

I need to mention the fact that XBMC creates a crash log in my home folder on every start... except that, it seems to run fine (does not freeze, hang or crash).

I would appreciate some guidance as to how to fix these problems...

Crash log available at pastebin : http://pastebin.com/MjSbkkwZ

Thanks to all!
Welcome.

Firstly the issues you are seeing are probably in part because there is no Hardware Acceleration available in the build you have downloaded. Try the RC1 version from here http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/ and activate it (go to System\Video\Playback\Allow Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2). The issue of sharp horizontal splits is more likely to be an issue with vsync (I have mine turned off in the driver app and on in xbmc (available from System\System\Video Output)

Try these settings and see if they resolve your issues.
steelman1991, thanks for replying!

I am not sure if you captured this info, but I am not using Windows nor Mac, but Slackware Linux. The nightlies & releases mirrors only seems to contain Win32 & Mac versions... Is there a linux version somewhere else?

As for the hardware acceleration., you are correct, I am not using it (currently not available in my XBMC built). Regarding the vsync isssue, I have Vertical blank sync enabled but does not do much of a difference.

THe vsync issue (or whatever it is related to) seems to be systemic (i.e. system wide) as I see the same thing in VLC player, MPlayer, youtube videos, etc. Probably due to ATI apocalyptic drivers... especially in Linux. Even if I open a picture and move the window very fast I can see the same thing...

XBMC still output a crash log and according to my experience with computers, means that something is wrong. The crash log contains tons of references to the ATI driver firegl.
Sorry my bad, that will teach me to read properly in future. This is one of the failings of the General Section, that users don't precede their title subject, with the operating system as requested in the forum title - no excuse for my bad reading, but hey anything to excuse my tardiness.

Have a look here for svn ppa builds https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc-svn/+archive/ppa
Thanks for replying!

Dont laugh at me, but I have no idea what is the site you suggested to look at... What is PPA? How do I use it?
Bump! At least a pointer?

I vener used SNV or PPA for that matter, and all documentation with XBMC refers to Ubuntu but I am using slackware. Any chance somebody can point me in the proper direction to install a hardware accelerated built as suggested above?

thanks!
Start by getting the Dharma release, we don't provide packages for Slackware, if someone else doesn't make them either, you have to compile from source.
I've found a dharma release packaged as a slackware package and installed it with success but the option to activate the hardware acceleration is not present in System>Video output...

I guess the person who built & packaged this release did not worry about hardware acceleration. I will download from sources and try to compile.

I will post back once completed.
Sorry, my bad.... I did not look in the proper options... It is there.

Thanks for your help!

Solved!