Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: I'm after the SSShhhhhh factor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, I currently have a Antec Fuson case for my HTPC and although quiet it's not silent. I have updated fans but nothing is quite as quiet as I want. I know I could go for liquid cooling but rather not (liquid and PC's don't mix) Smile
I am after a truly silent PC.
I see a lot of people are using the Acer Revo and Zotac ITX style PC's. How quiet are these?

Would it fulfil my requirement or is there any better alternatives out there?
From personal experience, I'd say the Acer Revo is fairly quiet, but you'll definitely hear it if you are putting it into a sound deadened room. If in a room with central air, otoh, you probably wouldn't hear it.
natethomas Wrote:but you'll definitely hear it if you are putting it into a sound deadened room..

I think thats my problem, working the night shift from home, want the TV volume on low so not to wake anyone but still want to watch my movies.

I suppose I could go for the Revo and hide it away so to drown any noise there could be.
Shuttle XS35GT is the obvious choice - completely silent, works well with XBMCLive.

It's on sale at Newegg for $190 I have heard (I don't live in the States)...
bossanova, now thats what I am after. Compeltley fanless design.

I see in your sig you already have 1, do you use xbmc live through it and if so does it handle 1080p ok?
I know you have fans already but I swapped to some noctua nf-s12b ultra low noise fans in my antec fusion case and have to say that they are nearly silent.

I got 3 of those, 2 for the case and 1 for the PSU and it cut the noise right down.

I also went for a Scythe ninja fanless cpu cooler and the gtx260 runs fans at 1% when in 2d mode and there is also a load of sound proofing in there too.

The loudest part of the PC is now the hard drives (raid) and I can even hear the slight buzz of the TV over it.

I know it's not answering your question but just wanted to make sure you had checked all options for the antec before you ditch it.
Shuttle XS35GT is the only passively cooled nettop I have been able to find that works well, full details here http://paulrae.com/2010/11/08/shuttle-xs...nter-htpc/
i also have an antec fusion case and wasn't very satisfied with the fan noise until i accidently realized that i can lower the fan speed with a switch inside the case near the fans. i turned it to "low" (it was "medium" at first) and now it's very silent.
i am really happy with it now, never had any heat problems (cpu about 42%, gpu 65%-nearly 80%)
surfingchimp Wrote:bossanova, now thats what I am after. Compeltley fanless design.

I see in your sig you already have 1, do you use xbmc live through it and if so does it handle 1080p ok?

I am using Dharma B3 with it currently and it works very well, no issues with 1080p and totally silent - bliss, really.
retro11 Wrote:I know you have fans already but I swapped to some noctua nf-s12b ultra low noise fans in my antec fusion case and have to say that they are nearly silent.

I got 3 of those, 2 for the case and 1 for the PSU and it cut the noise right down.

I also went for a Scythe ninja fanless cpu cooler and the gtx260 runs fans at 1% when in 2d mode and there is also a load of sound proofing in there too.

The loudest part of the PC is now the hard drives (raid) and I can even hear the slight buzz of the TV over it.

I know it's not answering your question but just wanted to make sure you had checked all options for the antec before you ditch it.

Good post, but the noise isn't the case fans or the CPU fan (scythe shuriken) it's the GPU fan and PSU fan.