Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Noob ?: Ubuntu or Windows Vista
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just getting started here and my fundamental question is Ubuntu or Vista?

You see, no HD TV and I need to use the TV-out S-video port.
(Funds are a bit tight...) Sad

The sticking point as I understand it so far is my video card:

Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB (motherboard: PCI-E v1 16x)

System running Core2Duo 2.6 GHz with 2 GB RAM on Vista Basic.

(I got lucky: S-video worked as soon as I installed ATI's latest Catalyst Control Center drivers: 10.10)

Just installed the Dharma RC1 and it works fine.

Of course, I'd much rather not have to boot into Vista to launch XBMC.

And I'm geeky enough to be able to install Ubuntu... but from what I've read, there are more than a few problem with Radeon drivers for Linux.

And yeah, I have a 17" CRT on the floor by the TV table for boot screens and boots from Live CDs (like for system drive imaging & restorations).

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I haven't ordered a remote yet either. (Using a wireless kbd & mouse) Suggestions there also welcome.
if you don't need hd shouldn't matter what you choose as you won't be using vpdau/dxva just go with what platform you prefer.

Getting a good skin for current builds on an sd resolution may be harder as most are now coded to display on a minimum of 720p

for a remote simplest bet is a mce remote
Why the buggy Vista instead of "Vista-done-right" i.e Windows 7? And why boot inside the OS instead of just using good o`l sleep mode (2sec to start up the machine)
Thanks Craigd. Install Ubuntu is on my kewl stuff to do list, but not yet at the top. I'll hunt for a sd skin.

Thanks SpectreX. Sleep mode, eh? Kewl shoes.
As for Win7, haven't won a promo license for it yet, & the refurb'd box came with Vista installed <shrug>