Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No Audio on EeeBox PC EB1501 w/XMBC Live
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey All,

I'm pretty new to XBMC and I've been searching through the forums and the like, I am unable to get any audio sound working with my EeeBox ~~ I am pretty novice when it comes to linux (eg. if I know what commands to run via SSH or what file to go edit I can do that , but beyond that ..).

I have tried both HDMI passthrough and optical audio, both with AC3 / DTS enabled and disabled and haven't had any luck. I'm sure this is some sort a mapping thing I have to do but not really sure where to start.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

OH I'm running Dharma RC1
Okay so I can sometimes get audio working on optical out if I set devices to iec958 and optical/spidf as output, however at first I generally have no sound, if I seek back and forth it will sometimes soon come into alignment , starting off with just 'audio crackles' proceeding with actual audio with heavy crackling and less and less cracking as I seek back and forth.

For HDMI Audio it doesn't seem to matter what I choose as options it just out and out doesn't work. So far this evening I've been trying to get sound going for over an hour without any luck.

Please help Smile
I have the same problem. I can't get any sound out of the EB1501 under linux at all.

Did you find the solution?
I did follow that guide, but i just can't get the sound to work.

In alsamixer the Realtek ALC662 rev1 chip seems to work properly. So i think it is the Nvidia ID b chip that dosent work. Because it says "This sound device does not have any controls." when I select that as my soundcard
I have same audio problem on EeeBox EB1012U - no HDMI audio at all. And also oversized picture on HDMI... Nvidia ION is not the best choice it seems...
Having the exact same problem with my EB1501P, tried with full install of Ubuntu 10.10, 10.04, minimal: 10.04 and 9.10. No sound over HDMI

have searched every forum i could think of and done everything i found, no luck Undecided

following this thread hoping some genius got the solution for us :-)
Did anyone get sound (HDMI or optical) working with EEEBox & Dharma ?
I tried Dharma (Live) and everything else except sound was working flawlessly 'out of the box'.
I think that I tried all settings available but didn't get any sound. Then installed XBMC 9.11 and confirmed that sound output was ok.

Any hints/tips would be greatly appreciated Smile
RasmusSchmidt Wrote:Having the exact same problem with my EB1501P, tried with full install of Ubuntu 10.10, 10.04, minimal: 10.04 and 9.10. No sound over HDMI

have searched every forum i could think of and done everything i found, no luck Undecided

following this thread hoping some genius got the solution for us :-)

i had a same problem with Ubuntu and I couldn't make it work. after many hours I've reinstall system to Mint 10 + xbmc and all was fine- HDMI audio from 2.0 to 7.1 and also digital opt/coax all working.
and its took me just somewhere about 2 hrs Laugh
rikardo1979 Wrote:i had a same problem with Ubuntu and I couldn't make it work. after many hours I've reinstall system to Mint 10 + xbmc and all was fine- HDMI audio from 2.0 to 7.1 and also digital opt/coax all working.
and its took me just somewhere about 2 hrs Laugh

I also tried Mint 10 but without success. Did you do any configuration at all after installation, rikardo1979? The only thing I did was to start alsamixer and unmute S/PDIF 1, 2, 3 for the NVidia card but, as already stated, this gives me no sound out on HDMI. I have not yet installed xbmc since I first want the sound to work just after installing Linux. I'm back on Ubuntu 10.10 now, desperately googling for help, but as already concluded in this thread there seems to be little help to find out there.
Has anyone had any success yet? rikardo1979, I'm still very interested in getting to know if you did some configuration in addition to what I describe for Mint 10? I must admit that I now am running Windows 7, I even had to go and buy a Windows version Sad It's really sad. For Windows, there are special audio HDMI drivers to download from NVIDIA, and that is what was required to make the sound work on Windows, before that it was just silence. Such drivers seem to be missing for Linux?
GH68 I have tried Ubuntu 10.04 x64 with no luck myself... right now I will give Mint 10 a go...

Have you found anything that could help me?

Thanks in advance for any help (I'm a linux rookie so maybe there's something obvious I'm doing wrong... Rolleyes)
GH68 Wrote:Has anyone had any success yet?
Yesterday I watched battlestar galatica with my brand new EB1501P (XBMC under linux).
I've detailed the steps here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=705098&postcount=3 .

I hope it helps.
MindFlavor Wrote:Yesterday I watched battlestar galatica with my brand new EB1501P (XBMC under linux).
I've detailed the steps here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=705098&postcount=3 .

I hope it helps.

This issue can also be solved directly with alsa:

sudo wget http://nfye.com/EB1501/HDA-Intel.conf -O /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf
sudo wget http://nfye.com/EB1501/asound.conf -O /etc/asound.conf

specific for EB1501P:
sudo nano /etc/asound.conf
edit the line that says hw:0,3 to hw:1,7
ctrl+o enter to save, ctrl+x to exit
Note that you will need at least alsa 1.0.22 for the ION2 hdmi audio to work at all, check with cat /proc/asound/version

then reboot, run alsamixer and unmute everything on the nvidia card.

then select the hdmi audio output device in the ubuntu audio settings as usual.

this fix is actually better since it also solves the fact that the front/rear channels are switched in 5.1/7.1 playback.

cheers Smile
Deppan, thanks a lot for your explanation! As previously mentioned in this thread, I gave up and bought myself a copy of Win7. My EB1501P does not start at all any more, so I had to return it for a repair which hopefully falls under the guarantee. Since I bought a OEM Windows license I can now hope that they mess it up so I cannot install Windows anymore :-) Then I get a second chance to fix it on Linux!