Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Opinion on ASUS 1015PN Netbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need a netbook for travelling purpose and for the rest of the time I think it's just going to be sitting around doing nothing and I figure why not install XBMC on it and let it replace my appletv first gen. What do you guys think ? Will this netbook below do the job ? It has HDMI output and it runs on Nvidia ION2

http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-1015pn-pu17...73110.html
woah, that is cool!

I use my ION1 Netbook for XBMC. I don't see why this one wouldn't do the job. Just get a cooling pad or something to help the heat it builds when you slam it with HD content for hours...
Thanks poofyhairguy , how do you have it setup ? ie remote dongle and xbmc live ?
andrew79 Wrote:ie remote dongle and xbmc live ?

Exactly.
Sweet. Thanks for the response. I guess I will be getting this. Another quick question. What dongle are u using ? I do have the Harmony remote already. I'll be very excited to dish my appletv which is suffering on performance wise. Also how's mkv playback ? Like a 4GB mkv for example ?
I use this IR receiver:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=OVU4001...m270.l1313

Best there is, especially for a Harmony.

As far as playback I am able to play any of my 1000 HD mkvs on my ION netbook. I don't use it for that- I use it as a portable XBMC player in hotel rooms when I travel with an external HD. But it works. Only thing that gives me trouble is heavy skins (so no Aeon) and pure Blu Ray rips (like 40gb mkvs).
Thanks poofyhairguy for your advices and time. I'll be buying the netbook soon. Not a big fan of the AEON skin nor big blue ray rips. Those that are around 4gbs are my preference normally.
hey andrew,

had You got luck setting up the system (installing XBMC) on the 2015pn?

I also got one (the one with 2 GB RAM) but have trouble with it. While the installation of XBMC live 10.1 the network card driver were not found but the installation completed successful.

The problem is: after starting up the system its unusable, the screen is full of artifacts and the framerate seems to be 1frame/30secons.

had someone else luck with this machine? maybe the system is to new?!

sorry for my english!
regards from GER
hi royalty, altho i dont know about Linux,
i suggest your try to post this issue under the LINUX section Smile
Sounds like you need the newer Ubuntu 10.10.
poofyhairguy Wrote:Sounds like you need the newer Ubuntu 10.10.

Tried to start ubuntu 10.10 (netbook version) runs great. So should i wait until xbmc live is based on ubuntu 10.10? Or does "xbmc live 10.1" means that it already based on 10.10 ?
royalty Wrote:Tried to start ubuntu 10.10 (netbook version) runs great. So should i wait until xbmc live is based on ubuntu 10.10? Or does "xbmc live 10.1" means that it already based on 10.10 ?

The next version of XBMC will be based on 10.10.

But I think openelec is based on 10.10 now. Use that:

http://www.openelec.tv/
Wow, XBMC by openelec performs great on my netbook, even the encoding of h264 seems to be done by the ION gpu.

No i need to get my infrared usb recv. to work with this and my harmony one and i'm glad.

thx brian ^^