Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration in Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 integrated GPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Not sure, but works perfect in 32bit. Try to compile it maybe. I think it should be in /usr/include
average 35,5 fps.
but its only a test with a zacate notebook, no desktop pc. could be that sony has trimmed some hardware?!
So I have a Panasonic TM700 that shoots with this codec:

Format Resolution Bitrate Codec
1080/60p 1920 x 1080 28Mbps MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (original format)

It seems my Core I3 is not going to be able to play this in XBMC Live? Is anyone aware if there are plans to do HW acceleration in VAAPI for AVC?

Alternatively I should be getting my E-350 Nettop next week for another TV; hopefully that will work with the built in ATI 6xxx series.
Thanks for this great how-to. Once my Sandy Bridge has arrived, I will test it.

Having read through this thread, I have a few questions:

You suggest setting modelines manually? Are the suggested modelines independent of the TV used, so that I can just copy those in the first post, or do I need to do anything with the xrandr -q output or anything else to get to the right modelines?

There was a question about limited colorspace which has not been answered. Is there any way to avoid crushed blacks?
Hammi Wrote:Thanks for this great how-to. Once my Sandy Bridge has arrived, I will test it.

Having read through this thread, I have a few questions:

You suggest setting modelines manually? Are the suggested modelines independent of the TV used, so that I can just copy those in the first post, or do I need to do anything with the xrandr -q output or anything else to get to the right modelines?

There was a question about limited colorspace which has not been answered. Is there any way to avoid crushed blacks?

Hi !

I've just tested a Sandy Bridge System this weekend. It will need some extra stuff to get it working already. Of course it will be a lot easier when Ubuntu 10.04 final comes out. I will make a separate guide for the Sandy Bridge systems. (Newest Kernel, Newest Intel drivers, newest Mesa, Libva etc. needed) Also the new 2.6.38 kernel introduces some "nice" surprises for lirc handling which needs to be taken care of (but of course the same will be true for non-Intel systems with Ubuntu Natty)

Custom modelines are needed also on Sandy Bridge, as currently the driver does not interpret the standard HDTV modes in the EDID data. Because they are standard, i think if you have an 1080p TV you can use the modelines i use. If not there is plenty of information on google how to get the modelines for your TV.
alanwww1 Wrote:I've just tested a Sandy Bridge System this weekend. It will need some extra stuff to get it working already. Of course it will be a lot easier when Ubuntu 11.04 final comes out. I will make a separate guide for the Sandy Bridge systems. (Newest Kernel, Newest Intel drivers, newest Mesa, Libva etc. needed)

My Sandy Bridge should arrive soon, looking forward to that guide!

By the way: Have you been able to playback files ok on that system just using the CPU instead of VAAPI/the GPU? Which processor was it? I've ordered an i3-2100T.
Hammi Wrote:My Sandy Bridge should arrive soon, looking forward to that guide!

By the way: Have you been able to playback files ok on that system just using the CPU instead of VAAPI/the GPU? Which processor was it? I've ordered an i3-2100T.

It is an i5 2500K. It plays fine everything even without vaapi and with just one core. I had one 30fps Blu-ray rip which had a little hick up at over 50Mbs. And that was an interlaced video. The power consumption and efficiency is just amazing. Playing back files with vaapi it uses only some 1-2% CPU time. And that is with auto downclocked by kernel to 1600Mhz !. So plenty of power. Also ProjectM goes with more than 60fps. I am curious how the 2100T will handle that because that is the only thing i am afraid with the 2000 series integrated gpu. Yours have a ca. 20W total system power consumption while playing back 1080p videos !!! That is really something i think.

PS.: check out this review ant Phoronix. It shows that VAAPI with Sandy Bridge is even more efficient than VDPAU.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...ideo&num=2
alanwww1 Wrote:PS.: check out this review ant Phoronix. It shows that VAAPI with Sandy Bridge is even more efficient than VDPAU.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...ideo&num=2

Interesting, also if I read further into phoronix, also their other articles describing their attempts to get Sandy Bridge support in Linux working.

It's sad, however, that they did not post an article which actually describes how to get the right kernel and drivers running on Ubuntu 10.10.

The best I could find is the following from here:
Quote:If you plan to upgrade to Sandy Bridge prior to the availability of Ubuntu 11.04, Fedora 15, and other Linux distributions coming out in H1'2011, be prepared though to either build the Linux kernel / Mesa / libdrm / xf86-video-intel DDX from source or have a package repository available that meets the needed requirements for proper support (the key packages: Linux 2.6.37, Mesa 7.10, xf86-video-intel 2.14). If you wish to use VA-API H.264 video acceleration, you will also need the latest libva package. For those Ubuntu 10.10 users, within recent weeks it should be possible to use the xorg-edgers PPA for retrieving these newer packages without needing to build anything from source. The latest Linux kernel can be picked up from the Ubuntu mainline kernel PPA.

It's a pity, by the way, that (as they say here) the ASUS boards are said to have an issue with Sandy Bridge, because I did order one (it was one of the few boards available with a fix for the SATA issues, and I thought that ASUS should be of good quality...).

Let's see. Maybe I'll end up plugging a GT220 into the board Big Grin
Hammi Wrote:It's sad, however, that they did not post an article which actually describes how to get the right kernel and drivers running on Ubuntu 10.10.

I have a rough guide already, which might be a little bit simpler because packages are getting updated for Natty at xorg edgers.

I will post something at the weekend.

I have an MSI board. Not everything is rock stable yet, but getting better.
alanwww1 Wrote:I have a rough guide already, which might be a little bit simpler because packages are getting updated for Natty at xorg edgers.

Assuming that we still start on a Maverick basis, I guess just a couple of tweaks might be needed to the guide on the first page:

Other than that, based on what I've read things could be working. I'll probably figure out tomorrow, as the board and CPU should arrive tonight or tomorrow.
Ok, it seems it's not going to be so easy. The error messages I'm getting (vainfo says it can't open the screen (tried with HDMI1 and HDMI2), sometimes together with an error message that the 965 module can't be loaded) suggest that I need a different gfx driver than the one used here. And pure SW decoding is not working reliably on the 2100T.
When I got my sandy bridge setup in jan, it wasn't actually too much work to get it all working. 2.6.38 is still unstable, but 2.6.37 works well + xorg-edgers as has been said. ubuntu 10.10 compiz needed a small patch to remove it from the blacklist and then pretty much everything was fine. I never had the troubles that phoronix reported on even though I had the same board.

the compiz changes are on my ppa

https://launchpad.net/~jools/+archive/sandybridge
Hammi Wrote:Ok, it seems it's not going to be so easy. The error messages I'm getting (vainfo says it can't open the screen (tried with HDMI1 and HDMI2), sometimes together with an error message that the 965 module can't be loaded) suggest that I need a different gfx driver than the one used here. And pure SW decoding is not working reliably on the 2100T.

did you install i965-va-driver ?
exobuzz Wrote:did you install i965-va-driver ?

I ran

Code:
apt-get install libva1 vainfo i965-va-driver libva-glx1 libva-dev

Twice, actually. Big Grin

What confuses me is that vainfo and glxinfo both most of the time just say that they cannot open the screen.

In XBMC, when I run it, I cannot find any option related to VAAPI, and pressing "o" shows a very busy CPU and no signs of VAAPI, either.

But maybe I've done something conceptually run? I started with a minimal maverick install, so don't have gnome (and therefore don't need compiz). Maybe "vainfo" and "glxinfo" don't work in this environment, and I should focus on recompiling xbmc?

Edit: Just looked into your ppa and saw als libva and xbmc packages. Should I install these for sandy bridge?
It seems I'm missing something fundamental:

Code:
hammi@sandy:~$ xbmc
Error: unable to open display
FEH.py: cannot connect to X server

But

Code:
apt-get install udisks upower xorg alsa-utils mesa-utils

says everything is installed. Also

Code:
apt-get install xinit x11-xserver-utils

are installed. And the xbmc-live package can boot into xbmc...

Hm. Help! :confused2:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19