Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: RAM requirements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The other night, I installed Fedora 14 and XBMC RC1 (from Fedora repos) on NT-330i (Atom+ION, 1GB RAM). When I ran xbmc, it was EXTREMELY slow.
I haven't had a chance to check closely yet, but my first suspicion is that it wants more RAM. So, my question is, how much RAM does XBMC need?
Without knowing how much ram you have (would be a good idea to post that, don't you think ? Smile ) I would still guess, RAM is probably not the issue. XBMC doesn't use much RAM for it's gui, it used to run on a xbox with 64MB of RAM.
1gb of ram should be fine - sounds more like you have other config issues, more info needed.
we have a dedicated netbox thread in the hardware subforum. ubuntu runs fine on the machine, 1GB is no big problem but could be problematic for HD&VDPAU as the BIOS may only assign 128MB to the GPU. 1x2GB (256MB dedicated GPU RAM) are ideal, no option to assign manually.
my best guess would be that accelerated nvidia driver is missing in your fedora install.
it also runs extremely slow on my acer revo (ion with 2 gb ram) running fedora-13.
the solution was to install the nvidia 3d drivers.
yes, I love it when I'm right. also please be aware that running XBMC on top of fedora is not officially supported here, we already have enough to do to get all the ubuntu boxes up and running Wink
Thanks everyone! Installing kmod-nvidia indeed fixed the slowness. It's too bad that nvidia doesn't want to open up the hardware, but that's offtopic..

HTH: indeed, the BIOS allocated 128M for video and doesn't let me change it. You're saying that if I upgrade to 2GB, it'll switch to 256M?
And yes I know Fedora is not supported. But I've compiled and successfully ran XBMC on F10 before.. now it's a lot easier with it sitting pre-built in the repositories. It seems to work great without any tweaking so far (IR remote, installs itself as a window manager, etc...)
Fry-kun Wrote:HTH: indeed, the BIOS allocated 128M for video and doesn't let me change it. You're saying that if I upgrade to 2GB, it'll switch to 256M?

yes, just like it was already discussed in the foxconn thread in the hardware subforum Cool
sorry, should've used the search function Blush