Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help me Help you get PVR to skin PVR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alrighty I got a TV Tuner, set it up in WMC to make sure it works - yes it does...

I got Ubuntu 10.10. I've installed the packages from dushmaniac but I'm at a loss at the tvheadend part...It definably not as simple as WMC- click cable, enter zip code, press scan.

I'm at the web interface for TVHeadEnd but no clue what to do.
Quote:navigate to the web user interface, drill into the TV adapters tab, select your current location and Tvheadend will start scanning channels and present them to you in just a few minutes

Love some help! Bare with me as it took 1hr to install XBMC, 1.5 hours to add my advancesettings.xml and so on... I have no Linux experience.
So happy to see you are looking at integrating PVR functionality in to your skins.

I have no experience with Linux and have only ever used the windows PVR builds of xbmc for use with mediaportal supplied by Margro here: http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg...build.html

Sorry I can't help and I hope you can find someone who can soon I just wanted to say thanks and bump the thread a little.Rolleyes
I used to run a mythtv server a year or so back. I haven't touched tvheadend. So someone else would be of more help. But there seemed to be a general order in getting dvr software setup.
Typically it goes like
Install card/drivers -> install software -> Configure software.
Setup card in software -> scan for channels -> Set up electronic program guide -> choose storage point -> set up what you want to record.

The DVR software generally needs electronic program guide data, Mediacenter has this pretty much built in. For linux last I checked schedules direct was the primary EPG service. Looking on tvheadends site xmltv is referenced quite a bit. It seems like it also offers data, not 100% sure see
http://wiki.xmltv.org/index.php/XMLTVProject

I'd think. it would be something like this in the web front end.
Click on configuration
Go to DVB adapters, add the card. If not there.
Go to xml tv, select your data location(country), select interval etc.
Go to channels. Auto scan, make sure they match up with your area?

That should be a start.

Have you verified that you can play TV with the card under nix? Easiest way if i remember is using mplayer. Which was something along the lines of mplayer /dev/dvb/{blah}
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/MPlayer
The ^ above should only be necessary as a later troubleshooting method.
Do you still want help with this, Night with pvr options would be a godsend.

From the web interface, Configuration, TV Adapter there should be a selection box to choose your card. If it isn't there then it's a Linux hardware issue.

If it is there then first Add DVB Network by Location, ( I have a sat setup, so I get to chose from geo orbits for cable I assume it is different) Tvheadend will detect the available muxes when it is done you should then be able to select Map DVB services to channels.

That should be enough to get basic viewing of channels up and running ( I tried it this morning, not a fan of TVheadend tbh I prefer VDR which I found far easier to setup) not really an expert so am unsure about EPG and PVR functions.
Hey great to hear PVR support is coming to Night.

Do you still need help ?

If so just shout, I am very comfortable with configuring TVHeadend and working with Linux.
If you are on MSN/Live Messenger then PM me your address if you like and I can help you over that.
Swifty Wrote:Hey great to hear PVR support is coming to Night.

Do you still need help ?

If so just shout, I am very comfortable with configuring TVHeadend and working with Linux.
If you are on MSN/Live Messenger then PM me your address if you like and I can help you over that.

Yea had some things on my plate the past 1-2 weeks. This is the spot I'm stuck on, not my image just an image I got off the net:

It has some odd choices, to me atleast, I tried everyone and I notice things pop up in the log.
Quote:On the “TV Adapters” tab, click “Map DVB services to channels” and Tvheadend will make channels available corresponding to the services it has found.
That selection is always greyed-out for me. When I try to 'test' my multiplex's, pressing 'play', nothing shows.

Short answer I believe I'm good up until that photo, what to do after the photo has me just guessing...Maybe next week I'll have more time to tinker.
Ah right ok, well basically it depends on where you live and what type of services you are trying to recieve.

So for example here in the UK if I want to pickup Freeview which is broadcast on DVB-T then I'd see a list similar to the screenshot above - this is a list of transmitter locations which will be scattered around your country, so you have to choose which transmitter is closest to you - for me I'd hit UK, then Ridge Hill since it's my local transmitter, then when I choose 'Add DVB Network' TVHeadend knows what the frequencies the 'Ridge Hill' transmitter uses, so it goes off and starts scanning them (this is all the stuff you see in the log viewer) - when it finds at least one channel you will then see the 'Map Services' button become clickable, this button is used to map the service (ie. the channel it's found) to a channel in TVHeadend (basically it allows you to group / rename channels)

For DVB-S (Satellite) its a similar story, except you would need to choose the relevant satellite from the list in the screenshot eg. Astra 28.2 - then as long as your dish is pointing in the right direction it will scan for channels and the rest of the process is the same.

Hopefully that sheds some light on the actual process, if you can let us know where abouts you are located and what services you are trying to recieve we can figure out what settings you should be using Smile
Hi...

Great to see that you are working on PVR integration in your skin...

How is the development coming along? If you need any help/testers please let me know...

/TjaLfE
TjaLfE Wrote:Hi...

Great to see that you are working on PVR integration in your skin...

How is the development coming along? If you need any help/testers please let me know...

/TjaLfE

Holidays came up, then sick for 10 days, then got Black Ops. I still love to try but havent put aside any time for even setting up PVR lately...