Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Linux] Adding a source from an external harddrive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I'm pretty sure this is an easy fix but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

So I've got a portable external harddrive with a folder called Movies, another called Music, and another called TV Shows. All I want to do is add each of these as a source. However, when I click add source and go to browse, I can't get any higher than my home folder. Typing in the path manually doesn't help either, as it fails with, "Could not retrieve directory information. This could be due to the network not being connected."

I have no problem doing this in Windows since I can just browse to the right directory, but have no idea how to do it in Linux. If anybody can help that would be great.
To go higher you must go to the settings tab and select the option to show hidden files. I think its in the system settings (may be wrong though)
I dont think you can gain access to the root dir's. XBMC should mount the external drive automatically. If these things are not happening and you cant fix it you may have to add a line in fstab to automount using the UUID of the external drive whern you plug it in.
FishOil Wrote:I dont think you can gain access to the root dir's. XBMC should mount the external drive automatically. If these things are not happening and you cant fix it you may have to add a line in fstab to automount using the UUID of the external drive whern you plug it in.

In Dharma RC2 your able to get to the root file system and browse it.. not sure about RC1, but in 9.11 you couldn't do this. To me this was a great addition.
Well I just checked (never had a need before). You cant just browse there from the file manager without add source "root filesystem" to the file manager.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, updating to the release candidate fixed the problem.
Im having the same problem. it’s been really frustrating. I am very new to xbmc and I’m not computer savvy as many people on this forum are. However, let me explain my step-by-step instructions on what i do and see if anyone can help me please.

1. I have my external 2TB hard drive connected to my macbook pro.
2. I go into my apple tv2, xbmc, video, add-source, and browse but for the life of me I can’t find my external harddrive.

Any suggestions thanks.