Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How reliable is XBMC for Apple TV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just purchased an Apple TV for the purpose of using XBMC on it. I just got my apple TV in the mail yesterday and did the USB trick to put the loader, xbmc and boxee on it. I did this all at a friends place.

I loaded Dharma on it but decided that it was too unknown to me and decided to roll it back to version 9.11. I did the rollback for a couple of reasons. I couldn't find Navi-X in the get add-ons section. I am also not that familiar with SSH and wanted to get familiar with the XBMC version before I upgraded to an experimental version.

I hooked it up to my TV and it seemed to be working. I accidentally hit the input button on the remote and things started to go hay wire. All colors streams were mushed together. It was affecting all my inputs. This caused me to go into a bit of a panic because I had never seen this.

I raced over and turned off my tv and turned it back on and it didn't fix it. I unplugged the Apple TV from power and still occurring. I had to do a combination of unplugging the TV and disconnecting the HDMI cord and the TV came back.

Since that reset I have been very afraid to use the AppleTV again. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I have been using the Xbox XBMC for a long time and never experienced anything like this. I change inputs while xbmc is playing all the time and have never run into this problem. I've also read that by using XBMC for Apple TV I could get screen burn in.

Has anyone else had similar situations. Is it possible that the Apple TV with XBMC can kill my TV? I used to use that HDMI port for my computer in the past and never had a problem. At the time that I accidentally hit the input I was listening to music and the screensaver was going on maybe also causing this issue.
This sounds quite strange to say the least.

Using xbmc won't cause burn in and won't kill your TV.

You'll be needing to post your logs to get any real help from anyone who really knows anything (unlike myself).

xbmc.log: /Users/<username>/Library/Logs/xbmc.log
Console log: /Library/Logs/Console/501/console.log
Crashreporter log: /Users/<username>/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/CrashReporter.log

If you don't like ssh, try WinSCP. I guess you're ok with FTP having come from the xbox platform, WinSCP works pretty similarly (at least from the user perspective).
Upgrade to RC2, its far from being experimental. 9.11 is so old and there have been many improvements since then, you will gain nothing by running 9.11.