Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC live on external hard drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This might be a stupid question but if you have an external harddrive with all your movies etc. Can you put xbmc live on the hard drive as well opposed to a flash drive? Thanks
tazelaaarq Wrote:This might be a stupid question but if you have an external harddrive with all your movies etc. Can you put xbmc live on the hard drive as well opposed to a flash drive? Thanks

You can install XBMC Live onto any drive that is detected. I've never told it to install to an already formatted drive though, but it should be possible. It's usually best to install the software first, then copy the movies over, just to ensure that everything is working first.
XBMC Live's default partitions are Ext4. You can format an external to that and you can then copy the movies back to that partition (and boot from it) but then you will have trouble using the drive with Windows and OSX computers. The trick would be to use two partitions on the drive...
poofyhairguy Wrote:The trick would be to use two partitions on the drive...

Actually yeh.. Now that I think about it, there is an option to 'resize' the partitions before installing. Last time I checked this worked with NTFS and FAT32 without any issues. So you could let it resize appropriately then install on the space created.
Ok thank you for the quick answers I'll try it.