Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XMBC can't connect to samba share
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a iomega storecenter x2 setup on WORKGROUP1 (same as my laptop)

My Laptop can see all the folders on the NAS and access them as if they are seperate drives too.

On XMBC (Live Dharma beta 2) I go to add a new movie source and select smb then workgroup1 but it fails with a timeout error.

I looked on the net for solutions and it appears that I might need to install samba on xbmc so I followed the instructions and ran the command "sudo apt-get install samba" in PUTTY. However I then get the following error

root@XBMCLive:~# sudo apt-get install samba
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
samba: Depends: update-inetd but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

So my question is, what do I need to do to get the NAS accessible from XBMC? Also note that XBMC can see the NAS VIA upnp but obviously I can't see my ISO files and the mp4s do not get scanned into the library which is pointless to me but does prove that the NAS is seen on the network by XBMC.
Rather than browsing for the source, try manually entering the path:

Code:
smb://<ip address>

Where the IP is your NAS device. Also having broken packages is bad, it sounds like you may want to have aptitude try and fix your broken packages:

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/ma...get.8.html
Its ok now. I updated the NAS Firmware and then restarted my router and suddenly xbmc can see it! Not sure which one of the actions fixed the problem but at least it is now working.