Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's been a while since I've been on here. I grabbed the newest files off https://github.com/spudsdude/XBMC-Flicks and it looks like most fixes have been applied. Even Search works. Sounds like we're just waiting for yabsie's magical Genre fix.

@ Yabsie: While you're forking this into a new build, maybe you should scrap the (non-working) Experimental Search. Perhaps for a name, there's "myFLIX" or "AYNABTO" (All Your Netflix Are Belong To Us).
Why not just call it Netflix !!
This is exciting news to get this working and it's even better to hear that you are really wrapping your head around the old way vs the new correct way. Well thought out/organized code makes maintenance and improvements much easier.

For names I'll throw out NetfliXBMC
ok so I have an early alpha proof of concept,. its slow and I cant say it bug free. in fact I can say its probably FULL of bugs

code is full of debug crap and needs to be clean/refactored a lot but i think it works.

as a side effect experimental search is "working" for tittle searches, a few features are missing like MPAA rating filtering etc but it'll come

let me know the bugs you find and please send logs.

get it here

[edit] the 0.1 version had a bug that preventing the plugin from starting at all (bad yabsie! bad!) if you grabbed it in the last 39 minutes or so, grab it again and get the 0.1a version, like I said pre-alpha version Smile expect bugs.. like horror movies cockroaches crawling out of dead body eyes/mouth/ears amount of bugs

[edit again]
in an effort to erode all confidence anyone may mistakenly have in this project, I have a 3rd version of the file. 0.1b
It seems that the other 2 version will only work if you have a debug environment setup and I am guessing most people dont.
so yeah...have at it, but be wary there are probably many more versions coming.

[edit AGAIN (enough already!)]
0.2 cut made available, so updated this link to generic download page

about names,

you cant use just "flix"
"netflix cant be first"

Someone suggested one that I was thinking about fliXbmc but since I cant use flix I cant use it.

all that being said:
I think this plugin will make XBMC fly, and so I am going to call it "fly xbmc" BUT I want to spell like wrong on purpose, like the cool kids do, so I am going to spell fly fli

so I will call it fli-X-BMC

(until I get a call form the netflix layers I guess)

(2012-11-28, 20:44)yabsie Wrote: [ -> ]you cant use just "flix"
"netflix cant be first"

Ahh... Didn't realize there were naming restrictions. I found the naming guidelines on the Netflix developers website and they make the suggestion 'x for Netflix', 'x with Netflix', 'x's Netflix Manager'.

Would it be intuitive to just call it 'XBMC Netflix Manager' or 'XBMC Netflix Addon'
(2012-11-28, 20:44)yabsie Wrote: [ -> ]as a side effect experimental search is "working"
What is the purpose of Experimental Search, anyway? I've never used it (because it never worked).
(2012-11-28, 22:34)mmain1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-28, 20:44)yabsie Wrote: [ -> ]you cant use just "flix"
"netflix cant be first"

Ahh... Didn't realize there were naming restrictions. I found the naming guidelines on the Netflix developers website and they make the suggestion 'x for Netflix', 'x with Netflix', 'x's Netflix Manager'.

Would it be intuitive to just call it 'XBMC Netflix Manager' or 'XBMC Netflix Addon'

Intuitive? yes. exciting? no.

We need pizzazz . We want the girl plugins to wanna date us and the boy plugins wanna BE us. We want people to install xbmc just to get the plugin. pizazz I tells ya pizazz.

how about FreeLollyPops? everyone loves lollypops. maybe not the most descriptive, (or honest) but catchy Smile

(2012-11-28, 23:10)elmerohueso Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-28, 20:44)yabsie Wrote: [ -> ]as a side effect experimental search is "working"
What is the purpose of Experimental Search, anyway? I've never used it (because it never worked).

just a search that uses a different API. the API itself lets you search things like genre=horror , between year 1980 and 1990, with the word 'camp' in the titile , the current plugin has no mechanism for you to enter all of that but maybe one day

Probabaly it could be hidden in the released version until its cooler,

(2012-11-28, 23:12)yabsie Wrote: [ -> ]how about FreeLollyPops?

I like it!
(2012-11-28, 02:00)elmerohueso Wrote: [ -> ]It's been a while since I've been on here. I grabbed the newest files off https://github.com/spudsdude/XBMC-Flicks and it looks like most fixes have been applied. Even Search works. Sounds like we're just waiting for yabsie's magical Genre fix.

@ Yabsie: While you're forking this into a new build, maybe you should scrap the (non-working) Experimental Search. Perhaps for a name, there's "myFLIX" or "AYNABTO" (All Your Netflix Are Belong To Us).

Did a clean install of the addon with the files from this link. It asks me to link my Netflix account, I'm then directed to my browser to do so. I click to link it. I get a confirmation it's been successfully linked. However, when I go back to XBMC and hit Okay to confirm I've linked it, I get a script error. Since every time I attempt to do anything it directs me to link the account, my guess is it's just not linking for some reason... I've reinstalled it several times with the same results. Anyone have an idea as to what the problem could be?

Edit: Reinstalled XBMC without deleting the profile folders and now XBMC freezes the moment I press the browser link button.
I have the same problem the above poster has mentioned minus the freezing. I tried the #ew fixes that have been posted with no luck. The text file holdind the key info never populates.
(2012-11-30, 01:41)kebone Wrote: [ -> ]Did a clean install of the addon with the files from this link. It asks me to link my Netflix account, I'm then directed to my browser to do so. I click to link it. I get a confirmation it's been successfully linked. However, when I go back to XBMC and hit Okay to confirm I've linked it, I get a script error. Since every time I attempt to do anything it directs me to link the account, my guess is it's just not linking for some reason... I've reinstalled it several times with the same results. Anyone have an idea as to what the problem could be?
Edit: Reinstalled XBMC without deleting the profile folders and now XBMC freezes the moment I press the browser link button.
(2012-11-30, 05:13)Frozin Wrote: [ -> ]I have the same problem the above poster has mentioned minus the freezing. I tried the #ew fixes that have been posted with no luck. The text file holdind the key info never populates.

Has anyone tried to manually populate the userinfo.txt file as Yabsie describes in Post 1139?
I'm not at home but I intend to try this as soon as possible.
Quote:Has anyone tried to manually populate the userinfo.txt file as Yabsie describes in Post 1139?
I'm not at home but I intend to try this as soon as possible.

Thanks for the reminder, I don't know how I missed that as I've had to do it before. Unfortunately, although it no longer gives me errors, it also doesn't populate anything for any of the options (Instant Queue, Etc.). Search still gives the script error.
Can you post you xbmc log and I will check it out when I get a chance.

P.s. This forum is hard to use from a phone.

Is this of any interest?

Netflix on Ubuntu: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/how-t...-on-ubuntu
A lot of the things netflix users are used to are not available to me.

For example, I dont have access to your recently viewed, and the netflix 'recommendation' engine only recommend things based on your rating. where the netflix apps (boxee, web, wii) all have access to that info and can provide a better service. II have been thinking of a way to remember your most recently watched things in this plugin and building recommendations around that

Here are some things I am thinking about adding I would love some feed back to see if anyone else care about them

none of these are hard, but I am not sure the order to do them in.

1) better search (year, genere, actors, mpaa rating, user rating, etc)
2) recently watched list
3) recommendation around similar recently watched (as above)
4) filtering the "broswe by genre" with year, mpaa rating, user rating, etc
5) adding "master" genres or a "genre tree" (comdey -> action comedy , family comedy)
6) remember what you have watched in a series and offer up the next episode

The great thing about netflix is discovery of new things but other than search its very hard for plugin using the api to offer new things you may like. If you have any "discovery" ideas or other ideas at all let me know.